Exam Burnout and Anxiety

My exams are coming in less than a week and I am burnt out. I am usually quite motivated and I have been known to get pretty good scores over the past 2 years. But this time I have been feeling emotionally exhausted and I cannot find the motivation to study. this is freaking me out and adding to already existing stress. I need help to fix my burnout as I really need to start revising.

I am becoming increasingly scared that i may not meet the expectations of my parents or people around me. many people i know hold high expectations of me and not meeting them is like my worst fear. my parents seem to pin my self worth on the grades and if i dont do well i am scared they will be disappointed or they will treat me differently (decreased trust etc).

I am really desperate to do well but I am exhausted and have no motivation. I need help fast as i am unprepared for my exams and cant even study subjects i used to enjoy. I feel drained and i need time to recover but i cant right now so i need advice on my next temporary steps for the next few days before my exams.

4 Likes

Hi @CheesecakeIsHere

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts and feelings here on this platform – it really takes a lot of courage to be so vulnerable and real. I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re feeling scared, worried, and exhausted and I want to reassure you that it’s completely normal to experience burnout, especially during such a challenging time as exams. It’s evident that you’ve worked hard and achieved a lot over the past two years, and it’s okay to have moments of exhaustion and reduced motivation.
First and foremost, please know that your self-worth is not solely determined by your grades. I want to affirm you that you are a valuable and unique individual regardless of your academic performance. It’s understandable to want to meet the expectations of those around you, but it’s equally important to prioritize your own well-being too. Do remember that no matter what happens, you are more than the grade on your report card.

I would also like to share some suggestions that may help you prepare for your exams in the next few days, so here are some steps you can consider:

1. Break Tasks into Smaller Steps: Instead of trying to tackle all your subjects at once, break your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks. Try to focus on one subject or topic at a time.

2. Set Realistic Goals: Don’t aim for perfection; aim for progress :blush: Set achievable goals for your study sessions, and celebrate your accomplishments along the way.

3. Prioritize Self-Care: Make sure you’re getting enough rest, eating well, and staying hydrated. These basics are essential for mental clarity and focus. Take breaks whenever you need to as they can help enhance your productivity! :blush:

4. Try Stress-Reduction Techniques: Incorporate relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga into your daily routine to help manage stress. Here are some activities you can try:
    a. Deep breathing - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
    b. Counter negative thoughts - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
    c. - Meditation - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
    d. - Declutter your mind - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Most importantly, please do practice Self-Compassion and be kind to yourself. I encourage you to remember that it’s okay to struggle at times, and your struggles and weaknesses doesn’t define your worth or your future :blush: I believe that your loved ones care about you and who you are, not just your grades. Yes, exams are important, but they are not the sole measure of your abilities or potential or who you are. Focus on doing your best under the circumstances, and know that you can bounce back from this stressful period! :blush:
Please take care of yourself, and reach out for support whenever you need it :blush: All the best!

2 Likes

testing. I think group work v stress

2 Likes

Hi @TopG !

Would you like to share more? What about group work that makes it stressful for you? Is it the working with others / interaction / communication part? Or the managing the entire project part?

Share with us more and let us know how we can help!

3 Likes

Hi @CheesecakeIsHere, thanks for sharing your concerns and sorry to hear what you have been going through. It does sound tiring to handle and I can understand how exhausting that must feel.

Having some form of stress is good for us as it pushes us to strive better. On the other hand, overwhelming stress would cause harm to our mental well-being. Do be kind to yourself.

Grades do not define you, as what matters is that you know you did your best. Give yourself a pat and celebrate every small wins you come along. :clap:t2:

Please take care of yourself and wishing you all the best! :smiley:

2 Likes