Are these symptoms of anxiety disorder?

Hey, i know this could be a sensitive topic. However, i just want to share some of the things that i am currently going through. I feel like i have been experiencing anxiety since i was a child. I am turning 20 this year. Since young, i had issues with dining outside/ dining with someone else. When i am dining with someone else (a friend/even with my family), i just have this nervous feeling and then i would start feeling nauseous, which greatly affects my appetite and till today, i am afraid of dining outside/ eat with my friends and that made me isolate myself ( i reject meetups with my friends, especially during school holidays). Recently, my anxiety kind of got worst to the point where even when i take the public bus, i just suddenly have panic attacks and i feel uncomfortable, anxious, giddy, nauseous. I would even have sweaty palms. Sometimes, all of a sudden i would just have sudden thoughts that something bad would happen and or i would suddenly feel worried.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @nehznay. Have you seen a doctor about this issue?

Hey @Jaws, nope i have not.

Hi nehznay

Thank you for taking this courageous first step in seeking help! Please take heart and know that what you’re experiencing is valid, and you’re not alone in facing these challenges. Many among us do experience anxiety, and undoubtedly it can affect our daily life, especially in social situations.

May I offer some insights and suggestions that might help you navigate through this?

Understanding Anxiety
Anxiety is a natural response to stress, but when it becomes overwhelming or persistent, it can interfere with daily activities. Symptoms can include:

• Physical Symptoms: Nausea, sweating, rapid heartbeat, and dizziness.
  • Emotional Symptoms: Feelings of fear, worry, or dread, often without a clear cause.

I believe what you are likely experiencing is social anxiety, which can manifest as discomfort in social situations, fear of judgment, or panic attacks in public settings.

Suggestions
Here are some suggested coping strategies I have seen that work for many of us for you to consider:

1. Seek Professional Help
    Consider talking to a mental health professional. A therapist can help you identify triggers and develop coping strategies.

2. Practice Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques
    Engaging in mindfulness practices, such as meditation or deep-breathing exercises, can help reduce anxiety. Here are a few techniques to try:

• Deep Breathing: Inhale deeply for a count of four, hold for four, and exhale for four. Repeat until you feel calmer.
  • Grounding Techniques: Focus on your surroundings by naming five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste.
  1. Gradual Exposure
    If dining out or riding public transport triggers anxiety, consider gradually exposing yourself to these situations in a controlled manner. Start small, such as:
  • Dining at Home: Invite a friend over for a meal to practice socializing in a comfortable space.
  • Short Bus Rides: Take a short bus ride during off-peak hours to reduce stress.
  1. Build a Support System
    Share your feelings with trusted friends or family members. Having a support system can help you feel less isolated and more understood.

2. Journaling
    Writing down your thoughts and feelings can provide an outlet for your anxiety. It can also help you identify patterns or triggers that contribute to your feelings.

I laud you for taking this first step of reaching out and sharing your experiences. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, and with the right support and strategies, you can find ways to manage your anxiety effectively. Take small steps and be gentle with yourself as you navigate through this journey. :heart:

1 Like

mann so sorry to hear that youre going through all these :pleading_face:
it must be incredibly hard to feel this way and also wanting to be at ease when with those you love…
do the ppl around you know abt what youre going through?
are there any moments where youre hanging out outside with your family or friends and you dont experience these negative symptoms? ><

Hey @duckling, my family doesn’t know about what i’m going through because i don’t want them to think i am weak.

And yea i think most of the time especially when i have to dine with my family or friends i would definitely be experiencing those anxiety symptoms. Now that i know i would experience those symptoms just makes me more afraid and therefore i am always worried whenever there would be any family gatherings or when my friends want to meet up with me. Also, i always feel that my friends would never fully understand what im going through therefore i have never told them the reason behind why i would always reject them when they want to meet up with me… i just can’t help but feel bad :disappointed:

Hey @nehznay. Thanks for sharing with us on what you’re going through. I understand that it is not easy for you. Your feelings are valid and you don’t have to feel bad about yourself for having anxiety! Explaining your symptoms to your parents and close friends might bring you some comfort by making your struggles feel less isolating. Even if your loved ones does not struggle with anxiety, they may still be able to understand how unpleasant it is to experience it and perhaps give you some space and may even help you.

When it comes to explaining anxiety
it might be helpful to use the following descriptions:

1. Panic can sometimes feel like you are physically suffocating: Because your mind and body are so closely connected, anxiety can cause physical sensations, too, including chest tightness, a racing heart, stomachaches, or headaches. Explaining this feeling to your loved one might help them better understand your condition.

2. There are good days and bad days: You may not experience a panic attack everyday, but when an attack does come around, it can be extremely hard. There are good days and bad days with all anxiety disorders, and just because you feel okay one day does not mean you will feel okay every day from then on. Explaining this to your loved one can help them realize that your panic is not linear, nor will every day be identical.

1 Like

Hey @nehznay ,

Thank you for sharing what you’re going through. It’s clear that you have a lot of insight into your feelings and behaviors, especially recognising the signs of anxiety from such a young age. That awareness is really important—it’s the first step toward understanding what’s going on and how to move forward. The fact that you can pinpoint the situations that trigger these feelings (like dining out, etc) is a huge sign that you’re paying attention to your mental health, which is so important.

It sounds like these symptoms have been affecting your daily life for quite some time now, and with it getting worse recently, I wonder if you’ve thought about seeking professional help (e.g., speaking with a counselor could help you explore ways to manage your anxiety), especially since it’s affecting your social life and everyday activities. Sometimes, having a professional guide you through those feelings can make a big difference. I wonder is there anything holding you back from seeking help?

You’ve already shown a lot of strength by recognising and sharing your experiences, and that’s a big step. You deserve to feel more at ease and comfortable in your day-to-day life, and getting support can help you get there.

Take care of yourself! If you ever need to talk more, we are here for ya. :slight_smile:

1 Like