i need help :(

Hey everyone, I haven’t been on here for a long time, but I feel like I need some help.

Previously, in one of my posts, I briefly mentioned that when I’m eating in public, I experience what are probably anxiety symptoms, like a fast heart rate, shakiness, stomachache, cold sweats, and occasionally feeling like vomiting.

I’d like to touch on this topic more because I feel like it has gotten worse.

It occurs both at home and in public. When it happens at home (which isn’t very often), I’m not as concerned, even though I do have a fear of puking. I don’t mind vomiting at home, if you get what I mean, it’s like a sense of comfort because I’m at home.

But it happens much more in public, and it’s been happening quite a lot lately. I don’t know why.

I’ll be eating in public with my friend(s), and all of a sudden, I feel like I’m about to puke, as if I’ve eaten too much. Along with my fear of puking, my heart rate increases, I feel a little shaky, my stomach might start to hurt, and I get cold sweats.

Because of that, I’ll start to clear my throat or even cough (I don’t know why, but I feel the need to clear my throat and cough EVERY TIME when I’m nervous, it almost feels like something is stuck in my throat). Then, I’ll try to stop clearing my throat or coughing because it makes me feel like puking even more.

When all that happens, I feel the need to distract myself. I’ll stop eating or start shifting my food around on my plate to distract myself. I might look around, trying to think about other things, or I’ll just end up using my phone until the feeling goes away (but sometimes it comes back anyway :sob:). I also shut out conversations because I feel like those conversations make me stress.

I’ve realized that my appetite has decreased significantly. With my fear of puking and everything I’ve mentioned above, I order much less food. It takes me much longer to finish a meal. I used to finish a meal in 15-20 minutes, but now it takes me up to an hour or 1.5 hours to finish, even though I’ve reduced the amount of food I order compared to before.

Sometimes, my stomach feels full, but I’m still hungry. I can feel the physical discomfort, but I stop eating because I feel that if I continue, it might increase my chances of actually puking.

I try to take deep breaths to relax and distract myself, but it often feels like I can’t get enough air. So, I intentionally yawn to get more air, as it feels like it allows for a much deeper breath, but sometimes even that doesn’t work.

It has gotten to the point where I sometimes hesitate to eat with friends in public. Now it’s almost as if I would expect to go through such feelings whenever I eat.

I don’t know why this is happening :frowning: feeling like vomiting for no reason? and also the need to clear my throat or cough, as if something was stuck.

Anyway, I have never once puked despite going through all these feelings…I don’t have a problem with eating. I love eating, but of course i don’t overeat. but it’s kinda sad that my appetite had significantly decreased, it sounds ridiculous but i start to feel full when i literally only ate 3 spoons of my rice :sob:

there r people like u. u need to seek professional help for it like therapist or counsellor

hi there, it’s not uncommon for anxiety to reduce appetites. personally, I’ve met q a few people that have anxiety eating in public so don’t worry about seeming weird.

you mentioned that it’s gotten worse, if it’s within your means maybe it would be good to seek professional help?

for now, there are some things that you could try doing, ask yourself why do you feel that way? Is it an external reason like the setting, people around you, etc? Or an internal reason like worried how you look while eating? Try looking for a pattern and understand if there is an underlying reason for this behaviour.

It would be easier to figure this out with a professional though!

You could try helplines, chatbots, or mental health services:
Let’s talk ‘get help now’
SOS 24 hour hotline (1-767)
IMH hotline (6389-2222)
TOUCHLINE (1800-377-2252)

I hope you manage to find a way through this and get better :slight_smile:

Hi anoni

I am sad to hear what you have been experiencing. These anxiety symptoms while eating are understandably unpleasant. Please know that your feelings are valid. I observe from what you shared, that it has been deeply affecting you in many areas such as in social settings, and has reduced overall well-being and quality of life. You also shared there is a loss of the joy of eating. Your courage in sharing this struggle and exploring ways to overcome is deeply felt and laudable. :heart:

I believe something has triggered this, so speaking to a counsellor soon may be very helpful. He/She can help you explore the triggers behind this behaviour, your thoughts, fears, emotions, and possible changes in environment that has been affecting you.

May I recommend you to also :
A)Explore relaxation techniques (deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, visualisation.
B)Journal and record your thoughts, actions and reflections. You may discover patterns behind these behaviours.
C)Experiment with gradual exposure to eating in public, starting with small steps.

Do hang in there and do not be too discouraged. The issues you brought up can be slowly overcome and my experience is that the first steps are usually the hardest. Please keep at it, gradually you will see improvements. :heart: