is wanting to cry normal?

Is it normal for me to do something in a mid way, then feel emotional for no reason and want to cry but can’t cry it out?
For me, I was just revising my science exam, then suddenly I just felt emotional and I just want to cry out loud, but I can’t. So I just played some hip hop song but it’s not helping. I don’t know how to feel better, I just feel like doing something violent and just go crazy at this point. And the thing is I will better for a moment, but then I feel horrible again very quickly.

1 Like

Hi @stars

Thank you for coming on and finding the courage to share what you’re going through. You’re finding it hard to manage your emotions at the moment, and I want to share that what you’re thinking and feeling about the situation is valid given your circumstances. :people_hugging:

I wonder if something changed for you recently? Have you found yourself experiencing this before - where you can’t seem to express your emotions fully? If yes, what else have you done in the past that helped?

It feels jarring when your bouts of feeling emotional seem to appear uninvited… when we’re too distressed, our body finds it too overwhelmed to cope. I wonder if that’s what you’re experiencing? Like a dam that can’t contain overflowing waters, already breaking and where will the water go? And just before you feel that way, do you notice amy thoughts in your mind about how you view the situation or what you’re saying to yourself? :thinking:

I’m glad to hear you trying to make yourself feel better using music. I wonder if there’s other ways to express your feelings when you feel emotional - perhaps writing it down, using creative means like drawing/colouring, moving your body through exercise/dance, screaming into a pillow, or seeking support from a person you trust and willing to listen nonjudgmentally (someone like a school counsellor or a close family member/friend?).

Hopefully this helps you to regulate your emotions better as you try to let it out in a helpful manner that doesn’t harm you, while you try to see if there’s any patterns or beliefs (how you view yourself, how you think about others, etc.) that seem to underpin these emotional reactions (before working through it). In the meantime, if you’re up for it, these practices might help with managing the distress:

Remember that deserve and can get the necessary support you need. Hope to hear back from you - until then, take care! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @stars I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. It’s not uncommon for emotions to surface unexpectedly. Engaging in activities like deep breathing, mindfulness, or taking a break may also help you manage these intense emotions. Remember, it’s okay to ask for help when needed, and you don’t have to navigate these feelings alone. Take care, :orange_heart:

2 Likes