Is wanting to sleep all the time normal??

I feel like no matter how much I sleep, I still wanna sleep all the time. My mom has complained to me that sleeping this much will cause issues. Is it true?

Hi Pooja! Thank you for your question. Firstly, I wanted to assure you that this is a common issue that many people face. Feeling tired no matter how much sleep you get the night before can be frustrating, especially if you have a busy day ahead of you.

There are many reasons why you might be feeling this way. Poor sleep hygiene, environmental factors, not enough physical activity throughout the day, and even excessive sleep can affect your sleep quality.

It is true that regularly oversleeping can cause some health risks. If this issue has been consistent for a few weeks or longer, or you are concerned that there may be an underlying cause for it, please consider consulting a medical professional.

In the meantime, here are some things we can do to help improve your sleep quality:

1. Understanding how much sleep you require per night. The sleep requirement for each individual differs and it depends on factors such as your age, daytime activity levels, and health conditions. For example, you may require more sleep than usual if you had a strenuous workout during the day and that is perfectly normal. On average, a healthy adult requires 7 to 9 hours of sleep per day. If you regularly need more than 9 hours of sleep per night but don’t feel energised when you wake up, there may an underlying cause that is worth consulting a medical professional about.

2. Physical activity. Research has shown that moderate exercise for at least 30min a day, 5 days a week, helps improve sleep duration and quality, reduce stress and anxiety, and even sync your body to its natural circadian rhythm.

3. Exercise good sleep hygiene. This involves going to bed and waking up at regular timings, avoiding caffeine, alcohol and large meals at night, and keeping off your electronic devices for at least 30min to 1h before bedtime.

4. Create an ideal sleep environment. Get cozy! Ensure that your bedroom is quiet, dark, and at a comfortable temperature for a good night’s rest. You may also consider getting an eye mask or ear plugs for any distracting light or sounds that you cannot turn off.

You may wish to try out this quick exercise (https://mindline.sg/youth?wysa_tool_id=sleep_hygiene) to help prepare you for bed. Being in a relaxed state can also help you fall asleep faster and have more restful sleep. Here’s (https://mindline.sg/youth?wysa_tool_id=sleep_deeply) a relaxing meditation exercise you could try.

I hope this helps. Take care and I wish you all the best!

2 Likes