Oversleeping 12 hours a day

I sleep over 12 hours a day and that makes me really anxious. I feel like I wasted half of each day just on sleeping.

Weird thing is, even after such a long sleep, I still wake up tired.

Whenever I do just a little bit of work, I feel drained and ‘nap’ for another 3 hours. I’m young but I feel like I’m wasting my life away.
I feel like it takes me a lot more effort to do simple things that others can do easily. Is that normal?

Hi Angie, thanks for sharing. It does seem quite draining for you and wondering what could be the issue. It can be quite a difficult situation to be in. May I check if you have been experiencing this for more than 2 weeks?

There could be many reasons why you are experiencing this. It could be a physiological or a psychological response to something. A life coach may also help to guide you along. To rule out anything physiological, you may consider visiting a GP (also trained in mental health) to gain that clarity.

You might want to try out the self assessment on mindline (https://mindline.sg/youth/assessment) also. You may consider having a deeper conversation with a school counsellor or a mental health professional (eg. from Fei Yu, Singapore Association of Mental Health (SAMH) etc).

Ps. Apologise for the long overdue reply! Will do better =(

1 Like

I am diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorders. However I still find it odd I sleep so much everyday. I’m not sure why I sleep so much and whether it is a result of my diagnosis. I don’t see others doing the same as what I do…

Hi @Angie, I am really thankful for your sharing something that private. The information helps a lot to build the context.

Would you happen to be on any medications at the moment? If yes, you may consider returning to the doctor to titrate your medication. The aim should be to help you uplift your mood.

If you have not consulted a mental health GP, you may try https://mindside.sg/ to be linked up to one.

Do let me know if you have further questions =)

2 Likes

Thank you, this has been helpful. I’ll check with my phychologist on this again.

2 Likes