Out of work & depressed.

I stopped working last year. Its now been over 9 months. I am getting very depressed about not getting a job although i gone for some interviews. My money is running out & i am worried how to live with rising expenses & no income. What can i do?

3 Likes

Hi @Wennie

I’m really sorry to hear about situation. Was wondering if you’ve tried going for any job fairs or spoken to a job coach?

1 Like

Hi @Wennie

Thanks for sharing with us your troubles, I hear you and I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time. Job searching can be a daunting and exhausting process, especially when faced with financial pressure and the uncertainty of not securing employment.

First and foremost, it’s important to put your mental and emotional well-being first during this difficult period. Managing depression while processing your job loss and financial strain can feel overwhelming, but seeking support from a therapist or counselor can provide valuable guidance and coping strategies to help you work through these challenges. I highly encourage you to reach out to a therapist for support:

In terms of practical steps, you can consider broadening your job search efforts to include a wider range of opportunities. This might involve exploring different industries, considering temporary or part-time positions, or even freelancing or consulting if applicable to your skills and experience. Sometimes, networking with friends, former colleagues, and industry contacts can also uncover potential job leads or opportunities that may not be advertised publicly :slight_smile:

Here is a helpful guide from My Careers Future that can help you with specific steps on how to regain your confidence in getting a job again: Long-term Unemployment? Tips to Find Your Next Job | Workipedia by MyCareersFuture

Also, you can take a proactive approach to managing your finances by creating a budget to track your expenses and identify areas where you can cut back or reduce costs. Look into government assistance programs or community resources that may provide temporary financial relief or support during this transitional period: https://supportgowhere.life.gov.sg/categories/financial

While it’s natural to feel discouraged by setbacks and rejections during the job search process, try to maintain a positive mindset and stay focused on your long-term goals. Remember that each interview is an opportunity to learn and grow, and that the right job opportunity may be just around the corner :slight_smile:

Above all, be kind to yourself and don’t give up! When you put in the effort to help yourself, you’re on the right track :slight_smile:

Let us know how you’re coping and if you’ve managed to reach out to any of the resources above. Hear from you soon!

1 Like