Should I continue taking meds and see psychologist?

Dear @Tkii.ash7eyy,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your struggles with us. I want you to know that our community is here to support you through this difficult time.

First and foremost, I’m truly sorry for the losses you’ve experienced—the passing of your dog, mom, and the challenges with your job. Grieving these losses and managing mental health concerns simultaneously can be incredibly overwhelming. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot, and it’s essential to prioritise your well-being moving forward.

From what you’ve described, I’m hearing that you’ve been dealing with depression, anxiety, and traits of borderline personality disorder (BPD), in addition to struggles with alcohol. The fact that you’ve been clean from alcohol for once or twice a month is truly commendable progress, and I encourage you to continue working towards reducing alcohol use.

Regarding your mental health treatment, I’m hearing that your dad has advised you to stop receiving treatment since you’re starting on a new job. I’m wondering whether this is due to finances or perhaps the difficulties surrounding getting time off work for the appointments? Given the increase in the frequency of anxiety attacks and depressive episodes you’ve mentioned, I would strongly advise that you reconnect with a mental health professional as soon as possible. Seeking their guidance and support is crucial in managing your symptoms and finding healthier coping mechanisms for the episodes you’ve been experiencing. Reestablishing contact with your previous mental health providers or finding a new one who would understand your needs and concerns can be beneficial for your well-being.

In the meantime, here are some skills you can try to help manage your mental health:

1. Grounding Techniques: Practice grounding exercises to bring yourself back to the present moment when you feel overwhelmed. For example, you can focus on your breath, describe your surroundings out loud, or use grounding objects like stress balls. Here is a deep breathing exercise you could try.

2. Self-Compassion Practice: In difficult times, it is even more important to treat yourself with kindness and compassion. Try replacing self-critical thoughts with self-encouraging and supportive ones. We are often our own worst critics, so this is definitely a lot easier said than done. You could start by thinking about what you would say to a friend in a similar situation. You can read more on self-compassion here.

3. Journaling: It may sometimes be difficult to verbalise how we’re feeling, especially if, like you’ve mentioned, it feels like people are not really listening. An alternative is to try penning down your thoughts and emotions in a journal regularly. This can be quite cathartic, while also helping you gain insights into your feelings, identify triggers, and track your progress.

4. Create a Self-Care Routine: Set aside time for self-care activities that nurture your physical and emotional well-being. This can include regular exercise, hobbies you enjoy, spending time in nature, or creative pursuits like drawing or gaming.

Remember that it’s okay to ask for help and seek support. You don’t have to face these challenges alone. Reconnecting with mental health professionals and implementing these coping skills can be transformative in your journey towards healing and stability.

In the meantime, please know that our community is here to support you every step of the way. Feel free to reach out or to respond to this thread if you have any further questions or concerns.

Take care and be gentle with yourself!

4 Likes