Talking to someone you are fearful of?

Is it normal that i get nervous and scared, where my mind go numb when talking to a person that i fear even though the person is speaking normally?

2 Likes

Hi @user895

Thank you for asking this question and sharing your concern with us :slight_smile:

It’s quite common to feel nervous or scared when interacting with someone you fear. These feelings might cause your mind to go numb or create a racing mind, which is a natural response to a perceived threat or stress.

I’d like us to explore this a little more, and if you have time to reflect on these questions:

Questions to consider:

1. How do you typically manage or cope with these feelings when they arise in social interactions?
  2. Have you noticed any specific triggers or past experiences that might contribute to this fear or nervousness around certain individuals?

Fear triggers the body’s fight-or-flight response, even in situations that might not immediately be life-threatening. The intensity of this response can vary depending on various factors, such as past experiences or how you perceive the person you’re interacting with.

If this fear significantly impacts your daily life or causes distress, it might be beneficial to explore ways to manage these feelings. Techniques like controlled breathing, mindfulness, or gradually exposing yourself to situations that trigger your fear can help. Additionally, seeking guidance from a therapist or counselor can provide strategies to understand and cope with these emotions.

Remember, feeling fear in certain situations is a normal part of being human :slight_smile: However, there are ways to manage these feelings so that they don’t overwhelm or hinder your interactions. If this is impacting your well-being, seeking support is a positive step towards managing and understanding these emotions.

Let us know some of your thoughts for those questions, and we’ll be here to support you further.

1 Like

Hi @cottonsoul

Thank you. An incident happened few months back with this person.

Because of this incident, I feel that a lot of what I am doing is affecting my decision making and also a crumbled confidence.

I have this everyday uneasiness going to the workplace because of this.

I just want the feeling to end. When I shared this with someone, I was told they just don’t understand why I feel this way. Even the said person whom I am fearful of.

Last night, I felt like I was feeling so many things at the same time that I no longer understand what I am feeling or going through but just want it all to end.

I am at the stage where I am just waiting to burst and I cannot take it any longer. Last night I tried, but I failed.

I don’t understand what I am feeling myself. I feel that what I am feeling is wrong and I am the problem.

1 Like

It sounds like this person that you’re fearful off is from your workplace. It’s completely normal to be fearful especially if there’s some difference in terms of “power” - like if this person is your boss or your boss’s boss.

Does this feeling happen only in the office setting? One way to feel less fearful is to level the playing ground and talk to the person in a new environment (preferably somewhere that you’re most familiar and comfortable with).

Is there someone else that you can share your feelings with?