What Are The Signs of ADHD?

I honestly do not know what is wrong with me anymore. Every time I share my problem about not being able to study without pacing around, people will tell me I have a possibility of having ADHD.

I tried searching online for more information regarding this, however, I am still unsure of the information that is presented to me.

2 Likes

Hi @derpi , thank you for sharing your concern!

Firstly, I want to let you know that there is nothing wrong with you having to pace around while you study. There is no rule stating that you must be seated quietedly in order to study - if what you’re doing works for you, that’s great! I may be able to offer a theory as to why you do this that is separate from ADHD, and that is pacing helps to reduce distractions while your brain is trying to focus on your study material. On top of this, incorporating movement (e.g. walking, standing, pacing) with studying can be beneficial in ways like boosting memory, thinking, and executive functioning - so I’d say you’re on the right track :wink:

Next, I want to emphasize that just because you pace around, or if you have certain symptoms of ADHD you find online, it does not necessarily mean you have it. The only way to be certain of this is to get a formal evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist. Here is an article breaking down the symptoms of ADHD and where you can go to be evaluated for it: [The Ultimate Guide To Identifying and Treating ADHD in Singapore]
Additonally, you could also reach out to your family doctor or a school counsellor to get a referral or advice on the next step.

Finally, I would like to let you know that if you do have ADHD, it is nothing to be ashamed of nor does it mean that there is something wrong with you! Everyone operates differently and getting a diagnosis just means having to adjust your lifestyle to what suits you. Whether that is changes in habits or taking medication, relevant help can be provided and we are always here to support you in your journey (ADHD or not :slightly_smiling_face: )

All the best!

2 Likes

I think I have adhd but I’m scared to tell my parents because last time I told my mom I had a hard time focusing on things and she said I better not have the adhd or whatever so I’m scared if she thinks I’m useless because my grades are already bad because I cannot focus in class :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @Red1

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through this, and I want you to know that your feelings are completely valid. It can be incredibly challenging to open up about something like this, especially when you’ve had a difficult experience in the past. I want to affirm you that you are not alone, and many people have faced similar fears and concerns.

First and foremost, I want to reassure you that ADHD is not a measure of your worth or capabilities. It’s a neurobiological condition, and it doesn’t define who you are as a person. If you suspect you have ADHD and it’s affecting your ability to focus and perform in school, it’s important to address it so you can receive the support and resources you need.

When it comes to talking to your parents, it may be helpful to approach the conversation with empathy and understanding. Let them know that you’re struggling, not because you want to, but because you need some help and support. You could also share your concerns about your grades and your focus in class, and express your desire to do better. It’s possible that your parents may not fully understand ADHD, so consider providing them with some information about the condition to help them gain a better understanding. If you find it uncomfortable to start the conversation, you could try out this resource that could help you to navigate the conversation: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

I want to encourage you that seeking help is a sign of strength, and it’s a step towards improving your well-being. If you’re uncomfortable discussing this with your parents alone, you might want to involve a teacher, school counselor, or another trusted adult who can assist you in the conversation too.

You deserve the opportunity to receive the support and resources that can help you thrive academically and in other areas of your life. I’m here to support you, and there are professionals and resources available that can provide guidance and assistance throughout this process :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes for you, and what your next step is like. I look forward to hearing from you!