What do you think makes a good therapist?

Recently, I was having a conversation with a friend and we were talking about our very own experiences with our own therapist and then the question of what makes a good therapist arose so now I’m throwing the question to the community on let’s talk. In your opinion/ personal experience, what makes a good therapist?

2 Likes

I think a good therapist is someone who goes through the tough season and not abandoning you.
I think my therapist has done that for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Probably someone who can listen well and give tailored and actionable advice. I like having takeaways after every session so I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my (and the therapist’s) time haha

2 Likes

I think a good therapist is one who allows you to come to your own realisation and conclusions actiong more like a guide :thinking:

2 Likes

thank y’all for sharing

@Amazingdinosaur am glad that you found a therapist that goes through the tough season and not abandoning you, wishing you the best on your therapy journey.

@Jaws indeed good listening skills are important and yeah it’s great when they provide advice which you can take and work on.

Interesting to hear that you like having takeaways. My therapist does that too, helps me especially when we speak/ bounce around various topics and the takeaway helps me to focus/ remind me of the important stuff (to remember).

@Otterworldly I like that! It’s very true that a therapist shouldn’t be there to dictate your life/ actions instead they come aboard to explore doable changes/ actions you can take to better your life, they are there to encourage you when you are low in motivation/ strength, there to provide support… how I like to see it is that therapist is there to empower you take charge of your life and make the best and most of it

3 Likes