Do we need to please our therapist??

Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I wanted to share something that has been on my mind lately, and I think it’s an important topic that many of us might relate to—feeling anxious about talking to a therapist and the misconception that we have to please them.

I get it; opening up to a therapist can be intimidating. The fear of being judged or not meeting some invisible standard can be overwhelming. But here’s the thing: it’s a myth that we have to please our therapists. Therapy is about YOU, your journey, and your well-being.

Therapists are there to provide support, guidance, and a safe space for you to explore your thoughts and feelings. They’re not looking for perfection, and you don’t have to have everything figured out. It’s okay not to be okay. In fact, that’s why therapy exists—to help us navigate the ups and downs of life.

If you’re feeling anxious about talking to a therapist, remember these two things:

1. Authenticity is Key: Your therapist is there to help you, not to judge. Being honest and authentic about your thoughts and emotions is what will truly benefit you in the long run. They are trained to handle a variety of situations, and your openness allows them to tailor their approach to your specific needs.
  2. You’re in Control: Therapy is a collaborative process. You’re not there to meet someone else’s expectations. Your therapist is there to support you in achieving your goals and finding greater well-being. If something doesn’t feel right or you’re uncomfortable, it’s absolutely okay to discuss it with your therapist and find a path that works for you.

Let’s break the stigma and dispel the myth that we have to please our therapists. Therapy is a tool for personal growth and understanding, and it’s about building a relationship that fosters your mental health.

If anyone else has experienced anxiety about talking to a therapist or has tips on overcoming this, feel free to share your thoughts. We’re all in this together!

1 Like