What is self-compassion #3

Hey everyone! :wave:t2:

Today I wanna try to clear up any misconceptions about self-compassion, in case we’re still a bit unsure of what it truly means to be compassionate towards ourselves! :mag:

Self-compassion = self-pity
Self-compassion, on the contrary, is the antidote to self-pity because it recognizes that life is hard for everyone. With self-compassion, we’re more likely to engage in perspective taking (instead of focusing on our own distress) and less likely to ruminate on how bad things are.

Self-compassion makes me weak/vulnerable
This is not true as self-compassion is a reliable source of inner strength that gives us courage and enhances our resilience when we’re faced with difficulties or tough situations.

Self-compassion is too selfish/self-focused
This is not true as self-compassion enables us to give more to others in relationships (such as being more likely to compromise in relationship conflicts, and forgiving toward others).

Self-compassion is lazy/self-indulgent
Self-compassion actually gets us to engage in healthier behaviours (exercise, eating well, drinking less, and going to the doctor more regularly) for long-term well-being, forgoing short-term indulgences.

Self-compassion is me making excuses for bad behaviour
This is not true as self-compassion provides the safety needed for one to admit mistakes (taking greater personal responsibility) rather than needing to blame someone else for them.

Self-compassion undermines any motivation to achieve things
Self-compassion (as opposed to self-criticism where we undermine our self-confidence and leads to fear of failure) actually motivates us to reach our goals because we care about ourselves and want to reach our full potential, and to try again even after failing (as we’re less likely to beat themselves up when we fail)!

Remember to ask any questions if you have any about self-compassion and I hope you’ve been kind(er) to yourself this week! :smiley:

1 Like