Why do I like to rewatch shows?

Hey everyone :wave:t2:

So I was rewatching Friends for like the 7,865,647,856,465,902 time, laughing about (this will probably let you know which generation I belong to :sweat_smile:) before it got me thinking, Why do I enjoy rewatching certain shows? :thinking: Like I already know what’s going to happen, but I’ll still laugh (or cry) each time without fail!

Apparently there could be an explanation to this - it transports us quickly into an established and familiar social world or a fast way to feel connected especially when we want to feel less lonely (remember that we’re social creatures after all that value connection to others).

Since these shows will be familiar, they take up less (mental) energy to figure out what’s going on (or what’s going to happen next!) which makes it more predictable and comforting. And that potentially makes it easier to reduce the need and effort to regulate oneself, thus helping a person to decompress after a long or stressful day (and possibly energising themselves too!).

OK so that kinda makes sense why I go back to my favourite show especially when I have the need to pick myself up! :smiley: I wonder if this is the same when it comes to listening to the same song over and over, or re-reading specific manga chapters too :thinking: What do y’all think about this?

I found this really interesting after reading more about it. Lemme know your favourite show or shows to rewatch and why? :grin: Till then, take care!

2 Likes

Hmm I like crime solving shows.
My personal favourite to rewatch at the moment is Rizzoli & Isles
I also like NCIS, Bones, Cold Case

3 Likes