How do you help your friends go through a breakup?

We often feel helpless and upset when we see our friends hurting, especially when they are going through a rough patch.

Do you have success stories or experiences supporting your friends during a breakup? Share here, and let’s talk! :grin:

1 Like

In the past, I never really knew what to say when my friends told me that they’ve just broken up. I didn’t know if asking questions would make them feel worse about it or make them feel better by allowing them the space to speak about it.
I’ve since realised that everyone copes with loss differently, and this applies to breakups as well. So I usually try to check in on how my friend would want to be supported in that difficult time, rather than assume anything based on my own expectations.

2 Likes

I had a friend who broke up with his girlfriend of 7 years and I remember him calling me (he never calls me on a typical day) and telling me that his girlfriend left him for another girl. Apparently his girlfriend had a different sexual orientation and he was sadder that he didn’t realize this in the 7 years that they were together.

The call ended up to be almost 4 hours long with me listening to him recount their entire relationship together. I held space for him to vent and personally had to fight off my own urges to offer him solutions (which is probably not what he needed to hear).

We spent a lot of time together hanging out over the next few weeks and eventually he got over the breakup. I guess the moral of the story is to just be there for your friends and don’t be too quick to offer any advice because what might work for you may not work for them.

3 Likes

Hi! :blush: My friends and I used to talk about what order each of us will find love or even marry. My best friend would always joke about never finding love and being ‘forever alone’ and HAHAHA not only did they find love, they were the first of us all.

He was very heartbroken when they broke up and honestly I never know what to do. Each person needs different things but he’s never once needed support from any of us in the 4 years we knew each other. But just listening to them share their experience, validating how they felt, spending time with them to remind them they have so much more in their life I think helped him to slowly move on. I don’t think he’s ever gotten over it and it’s fine, but he’s learnt better to cope with it and he now understands that he has us with him so I’ll count that as a success :blush:

2 Likes

Hi! I don’t really have a lot of experience with this, but I figured that offering a listening ear to them helps a lot. Sometimes, all they need is someone who listens while they talk things out. I think it’ll be good to check in on them from time to time and make sure they are feeling okay.

2 Likes

i currently have a friend going through a break up and i find that it really helps to reassure them that they made the right choice if they were the one who initiated it and especially if it was a toxic relationship that took them awhile to get out of. if they were the ones who were broken up with, i think that reassurance is also still extremely important to remind them that their worth isn’t based off a relationship. Most importantly, you should do your best to be a supportive and take your time to listen to them!

1 Like