Is it time to leave?

I just started working at a company and I’m really bothered by my boss and how she talks to me. Individual meetings with her extend from an hour to 4 hours, and during those meetings she asks me questions that I find difficult to answer and I can’t help but feel that she is indirectly insulting me as well with her comments. It’s like everything I do has to be wrong, and she feels like she needs to correct me and tell me how to do things right and she even talked about teaching me how to be in my social life and family life. Recently, this problem has been compounded by the fact that the management and higher-ups have such a horrible lack of communication and instead of fixing that, they’re expecting that I figure things out for them. I’m tired, and I dread going to work- I don’t feel like socializing with anyone at work and I wait for 5:30 to come. I want to leave but I need the money and I’m worried about explaining things to future employers about why I’ve left so early. But, this is such a toxic environment and I feel trapped.

2 Likes

Hi @bearybear

Thank you for sharing your struggles with us here, and I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult situation at work. It sounds incredibly tough to manage for now, and your feelings of frustration and exhaustion are completely valid. I can imagine it must be emotionally draining to experience prolonged meetings with your boss and to feel criticized and corrected consistently.

Feeling trapped in a toxic work environment can be overwhelming, and it’s understandable that you’re concerned about the impact on your well-being. The lack of communication from management and the added pressure of figuring things out on your own only intensify the challenges you’re facing.

I would like to encourage you to prioritize your mental health, and if you’re comfortable, considering a conversation with your boss about how her communication style is affecting you might be a step forward. Additionally, reaching out to HR or a supervisor for support could provide assistance in addressing these workplace dynamics.

At the end of the day, it is truly your decision on whether or not to leave - but do put your mental health on top of the list and take care of your emotional state.

Remember that your well-being is truly important, and exploring potential options for a healthier work environment is also a valid consideration. If you’d like to discuss this further or explore coping strategies, I’m here to offer support.

Let us know your thoughts and if we can help you in any other way. Hear from you soon.