Is long-term insomnia life-threatening?

Hello. I have been stuck with a bad case of on-and-off insomnia for the past two years. After particularly disastrous A level preparation period, I have been having trouble sleeping at least twice a week.

Even when I’m not anxious, my body produces symptoms like stomachaches and bloating which give me trouble sleeping. It’s frustrating because I have never pulled any all-nighters but I’m still experiencing the same quality or quantity of sleep.

When I brought it up to friends, they said that they do not have the same problem, then they started talking about how insomnia is really bad for the body. When I told my parents, they said that it’s something I have to learn how to manage on my own.

Some nights I feel my body breaking down and panic. Am I really going to have my lifespan and quality of life taken away from me if this keeps up?

1 Like

Hi user1230

I’m sorry to hear how you’re struggling with insomnia and its effects on your physical and mental well-being. Thank you for the courage to seek help :slight_smile:.

I fully agree that preparing for the 'A ’ levels is highly stressful. Fortunately those exams are now over. You traced the onset of the sleep troubles to the stress of that exam preparation. Sadly, since then, it has been challenging to adjust back to your regular sleep pattern. You also experience symptoms like stomachaches and bloating which are contributing to the sleep trouble. Though you may not be feeling understood or supported by loved ones when you share your experiences, please take heart that you are not alone in this struggle. Insomnia is a common issue that can affect anyone, regardless of their sleep habits or lifestyle.

There are professionals you can tap on who understand and can offer guidance. Have you considered seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor? If you are currently in school, set up an appointment with your school counsellors. They can help you develop coping strategies and address underlying issues contributing to insomnia. For example, they would help you identify your thoughts around sleep and facilitate you in reframing them. They could help you examine your current routines, and identify patterns or habits that may inadvertently be affecting sleep quality.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to also consider these proactive steps to manage your insomnia and overall well-being. Consider exploring and find for yourself the optimal mix which works best for you from these suggested techniques:

• Physical activity and exercise (this should be at least 4 hours before bedtime)
  • Mindfulness practice (can help you lower stress levels)
  • Relaxation techniques (e.g., deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation)
  • Sleep hygiene practices (e.g., consistent sleep schedule, dark sleep environment, no electronic devices 1 hour prior to bedtime)

To address your concerns about the long-term effects of insomnia, the research in this area has been quite varied. I recommend you to not be unduly worried about lifespan as many other factors (both known and unknown by researchers) contribute to quality of life and lifespan. I encourage you to stay focused on making daily incremental improvements.

Stay optimistic and keep taking small steps daily to improve sleep. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @user1230 in addition to understanding whether there are any biological/environmental factors affecting you, something that really helped me is looking into CBT-i (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia).

This article Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-i): Definition, Techniques, and Efficacy (verywellmind.com)

goes into detail about how you can try to use it, I found it helpful for myself! It reinforced a lot of good practices around sleep hygiene which i realized was contributing to my insomnia. Hope it helps for you! Do let us know your thoughts.

3 Likes

Hello @user1230

Thank you for sharing your worries on let’s talk.

Based on personal experience, I can relate to having insomnia after having a major stressful period. Somehow the body remembers the stress and it will linger.

@anonymous339 shared a useful tool, @CaringBee also shared some amazing techniques, I just wanted to second what caringbee said to not be too worried about lifespan because while our lifestyle plays a part in our lifespan, there are a variety of factors that affects lifespan and it’s out of our control/ our reach.

Just take small steps daily to improve our sleep, be it by addressing our anxiety, meditation, relaxation practices and practicing sleep hygiene, it’s important to find what works for you and it’s ok to reach out for help like seeking help form a doctor to talk about your issues if it continues to persist/ bother you.

Take care and I hope that you’ll be able to get your restful sleep soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dear CaringBee,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful reply. I have already been trying out things to improve my sleep hygiene you have listed, but the results have been mixed. That said, I will definitely give CBT/counselling a try.

Thanks for addressing my concerns on insomnia and its effects on my health too. Some things are out of my control but it’s what I can do to fix it.

Dear anonymous339,

Thank you for sharing the link to CBT techniques! I will definitely be giving them a try. I really appreciate the concern

Dear Marshmallow.youghurt,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with insomnia too. Can I ask how you navigated through this tough time?

Thanks for the concern and for giving me reassurance!