Is that all to my life?

Been a sad working adult for many years. Have a somewhat good job, good friends, good social circles and doesn’t have anything stressful ongoing.

But, i felt such an intense crippling sense of lost. Lost of my own time, my day to day is just working 9 hours a day so that I can live 3 hours after.

Everyday when I commute to work, I feel so sad because that’s going be my life for the next 50 years (if I can even live that long)

1 Like

i totally get you i find having to work for the rest of my life daunting and exhausting too. do you think theres any kind of work youd enjoy?

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Heyyy there!!

I do enjoy my current job, I am most unsatisfied with how our society and way of living hinges on capitalism so much. I have so many things that I want to do but working 5-days a week just drains me out during weekends.

This way of living just terrifies and made me feel so jaded. Not actively suicidal but it just feels like if I meet with an fatal accident tomorrow I’ll be fine with that outcome just to break out of this rat race

1 Like

i agree :frowning: i dont like how life hinges on capitalism and working our days away either… it really is a bad situation… is there anything about your job that makes it feel like a rat race?

1 Like

The biggest part of rat race is really the race to squeeze in commute…. The feeling of dread from all the sad working adults can really materialised in the air when you take MRT during peak hours LOL

My job itself is rewarding and honestly I do not hate the job. I just hate how it’s like in SG to have long working hours and so little rest days….

1 Like

i really get that… i exclusively take buses to avoid the mrt haha

the work culture here really isnt the best

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

yeah it really sucks :frowning: there isnt really a solution but youre not alone in this!

1 Like

heyyy @Kurama! I can really relate to what you’ve shared, and you’re far from being alone in this - we’ve had such conversations in my friend circles numerous times too. I think when things start to become routined, it’s really easy to fall into autopilot mode where everything just feels monotonous and dreary, although there’s nothing in particular that’s wrong or distressing. :confused:

For me, I try to focus on what’s in my control. With whatever time and energy I have left outside of work, I try to make it a point to schedule activities I want to try or to spend time with people that will help me feel recharged. The thought of doing those activities helps keep me going. It can be small things like having a good dinner at the end of a work day too! I think at the end of the day it’s also about coming to terms with the fact that life won’t always be terribly exciting, but those little moments of fulfillment and joy that you do get in between the monotony make it all worth it.

Is there perhaps a way to make your daily commute more bearable? Maybe something to help distract you from the air of dread you mentioned?

1 Like

that’s actually very good to know, most people don’t have the luxury of having a rewarding job.

I feel like the thinking has also shifted from our parents’ generation to ours. For eg, they would work for 40 years and retire for 20 years kind but maybe for us, we may not want the grind of working for 40 years. It could be working for 5 years and then having a 2 year break and then working for another 3 years with a 1 year break etc.

It’s probably up to each of us to find the balance that we want (and of course to keep ourselves up-to-date and skilled enough so we can be re-employed anytime we want).