is this normal, and how to fix it?

Hii so recently these days I keep feeling like my parents are going to die and I’m very very paranoid and I’m feeling very burnt out from thinking about it and I just more and more scared. I can’t sleep every night because I keep thinking about it. Is there a way for this to stop, I’ve always been a person that gets scared easily and I hate it and want to change my mindset. Please help me find a way to stop thinking of my parents death I tried asking others but nothing worked and I just want to enjoy the future with them instead of worrying about this.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @user765. I can imagine how tiring it is to have this constant fear. I’m wondering if this is because you’ve lost someone close to you before?

It’s important to remember that you’re not alone in feeling this way. Many people worry about their parents’ health and mortality (including me!). It’s a normal part of being human.

When you start to worry about your parents dying, ask yourself if there is any evidence to support your fears. Do they have dangerous jobs or habits? If there isn’t, remind yourself that your parents are strong and healthy, and that they will likely live long and happy lives.

1 Like

I’ve not lost anyone close to me before and my dad is kind of unhealthy. It’s just that I’m always scared easily

1 Like

I’m not an expert but my partner has this “irrational fear” thing too where she’s also scared of many thing happening (eg tsunami or earthquake or even random things falling).

Besides the fear of your parents dying, are there any other fears that you have?

It would be worrying if these fears start to affect your daily life. Does this paranoia come at certain times only or is it perpetual? Do you still get to enjoy certain parts of your day?

1 Like

I have alot of fears such as when I eat with my family I will wonder if it’s the last meal we have together and when I’m outside I will think everyone is trying to kidnap me and all those stuff which makes me so worn out.

1 Like

It sounds like you may need professional help. Think some of the therapists on the platform like @YuanYang might be able to give better insights.

Separately have you considered exploring therapy for this? If it wears you out and affects your day-to-day life then it might be worth a shot to speak to a professional. :thinking:

Hi @user765

I think it’s natural to have some form of fear of losing someone who holds a significance to you/ in your life.

But it’s definitely worrying if it’s affecting your day to day and reading your post, it does sound like it’s really affecting you to the point you feel drained/ exhausted (correct me if I’m wrong).

I’m really heartened to hear that you wanna try and work on this “over-worrying” (for the lack of a better term).

It might take a few days/ awhile for our professionals on the platform to reply to the post, providing reliable and insightful tips on how to cope better.

However definitely if it still continues to bother you, you might want to look for professional help like seeing a counsellor.

If you do require (additional) professional support (beyond this platform aka see a counsellor), you can sound out here and we can provide some resources.

Take care! :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @user765, thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts, I commend you for your bravery and courage. I’m really so sorry to hear that you’re going through this challenging experience, but I’m here to help you find some strategies to manage these anxious thoughts about your parents’ well-being.

First, it’s important to acknowledge that it’s natural to have concerns about the well-being of our loved ones, including our parents – I personally worry a lot about my loved ones too! So please know that your feelings are all valid and real.

However, when these thoughts become overwhelming and interfere with your daily life, it will be helpful to address them. Here are a few steps you can consider:

• Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Practice mindfulness exercises and relaxation techniques to help you stay grounded in the present moment. This can help reduce the intensity of your anxious thoughts (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg)

• Challenge Negative Thoughts: Work on challenging and reframing the negative thoughts about your parents’ well-being. Ask yourself if there’s any concrete evidence for your fears, and try to focus on the positive aspects of your relationship with them. One activity to try - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

• Engage in Enjoyable Activities: Find joy in spending quality time with your parents and creating positive memories together, such as going out for special meals or cycling together or playing boardgames too. Engaging in activities you enjoy can help shift your focus away from worries :blush:

• Focus on Self-Care: Prioritize self-care activities, including getting regular exercise, maintaining a balanced diet, and ensuring you get enough sleep. These factors can significantly impact your overall mental well-being! :blush: You can also try this activity to practice being kind to yourself: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

• Consider Professional Help: If your anxiety continues to disrupt your life despite your efforts, it may be helpful to consult with a mental health professional who can offer guidance and support tailored to your specific situation.

Most importantly, please know that it’s okay to ask for help and seek support when you’re dealing with anxiety. You’re not alone in this, we’re here with you!

1 Like