Stressed out for no reason (long story)

well. recently I have many projects to work on and I have problems handling them.
Everytime theres a group presentation to make, I get anxious about the information we have to include in the slides afraid of what we may be doing wrong or missing out. (I have this fear of getting the info wrong infront of everyone and it already happened so many times, its literally so embarrassing so I hate leading or giving instructions.)
I know I could ask the teacher and I do, but I just get even more confused and I know they want us to be independent so I’m afraid to ask again because I will just ask about the same things over and over again. I would ask my members to ask but they kind of don’t really pay attention. They are very chill type and I’m like not okay HAHA. I’m the problem.
That said, the barely done presentation will be brought home and everyone in my team in so silent (in the group chat) - but theres work to be completed! I ask them about it they say “I dont know” so I have to ask the teacher about the content, then my team members will keep asking me if they did it right or not after i told them what the teacher said (treating me like a leader which I don’t want to but I know no one else will step up if I don’t and it makes me anxious as hell :clown_face: )I’m not even sure if I understood what the teacher said or what I’m relating is correct, I always try to check with my members but they dont even care. They just leave me on read
Anyway I end up sleeping at the wee hours of the night because I don’t know how to start! I literally spend a whole day just to only do 2 slides or none at all when its supposed to be simple! Why do I overthink so much?? If i dont do anything I can’t sleep at night and here I am. I zone out so much AAAAA
I dont even know what I’m doing anymore.
I feel like a clown everytime I have to brainstorm logical stuff bcs I literally have none.

2 Likes

Hi @justme

Thank you so much for sharing with us your struggles, it takes a lot of courage to be real and authentic, and I commend you for that. I can hear that you’re going through a really challenging time right now, and it’s completely understandable that managing multiple projects and group presentations is causing you stress and anxiety. It sounds like you’re putting a lot of pressure on yourself to meet expectations, and the fear of making mistakes in front of others is understandably taking a toll on you.

I want to encourage you - It’s completely okay to feel overwhelmed, and it’s a common experience to worry about the details of a presentation, especially when you’ve had past experiences that felt embarrassing. I want to affirm you that you’re not alone in feeling this way, and everyone has their own set of challenges.

It also sounds like you’re being proactive by seeking help from your teacher and trying to involve your team members, but the lack of engagement from them is adding an additional layer of stress. I can imagine that it’s tough when you feel like the responsibility falls solely on your shoulders.

For a start, perhaps it might be helpful to have an open and honest conversation with your team about how you’re feeling. You might want to let them know that you could use more support and that you’re finding the workload challenging. Perhaps you can brainstorm together or establish a more structured communication plan too?

I want you to know that it’s okay to ask for help repeatedly, and it doesn’t make you a burden at all! :slight_smile: Teachers are there to support you, and asking questions is a part of the learning process. You’re not a “problem,” and your concerns are valid.

Overthinking is something many people struggle with (even us therapists too!), and it can be helpful to break tasks into smaller, more manageable steps. Please try not to be too hard on yourself - you’re doing your best in this situation, and that’s something to be proud of :slight_smile:

If you find that your anxiety is affecting your sleep and daily life, it might be beneficial to talk to someone you trust or consider seeking support from a counselor or mental health professional. They can provide additional strategies to manage stress and help you manage the anxiety. You could try approaching a counsellor from a nearby Family Service Centre, or you could try out these online options:

In the meantime, I also want to encourage you to try these tools to help you with managing the anxiety too:

1. Practice mindfulness
  2. Practice decluttering your mind
  3. Feel more in control
  4. Take deep breaths!

Last but not least, please remember, you’re not alone in feeling this way, and it’s okay to ask for support. You’re doing your best, and that is enough :slight_smile:

Let us know how you’re coping, hear from you soon!

1 Like