Therapy Advice

Would like to ask:
When approaching therapy, do we need to list family as emergency contacts or a friend will do?
Family is not supportive of therapy/seeking treatment. P.S. Over 21y/o here.

Also, where do we go for subsidised treatments?


Hi @yung !

Thank you for the question! I’ll be happy to answer them for you.

  1. You do need to list a person’s name for emergency contact, but it needed not be family all the time. It may have to be someone who is close to you and has access to you all the time, and the person would also need to be able to help you in times of crisis.

  2. Subsidized treatments are available in Singapore - but it depends on the treatment type and which organization it is from. For example, if you’re looking for talk-therapy or counselling services at a cheaper or subsidized rate, you can approach the Family Service Centre (click here: SupportGoWhere and for more information) to select one that’s most convenient for you.
    There are also cheap and affordable ones in Singapore - click here: 23 Places To Get Counselling In Singapore For Youths & Couples

You can also try online / virtual options to have them at affordale rates:

  1. Limitless : Talk To Someone - Limitless
  2. CPH chat :
  3. IMH CHAT :
  4. :

I hope you’ll keep going and seek the support you need. Please let us know how you’re doing and which place you’ve decided to start your therapy.


Hey @yung

On top on what @cottonsoul mentioned, from what I remember (if I didn’t remember wrongly), most counselling/ therapy centre would need/ prefer that your emergency contact to be above 18/ 21 (can’t exactly remember).

I hope that you will give therapy a try and not let your family’s disapproval get in the way of seeking help.

If you’d like you could let us know if you decide to give therapy a try and let us know how it went. Take care and I look forward to hearing from you again :slight_smile: