Thinking about the first step

Is it normal for me to hesitate to seek for professional help as I want to seek help for any mental issues I may have but, I feel scared that I will go to a session, either online or face-to-face, and just blank out during a session.

How do you think I can face this problem of trying to break this barrier between me and this general fear? Is there any starting points I should share with a therapist if I want to describe my issues?

1 Like

Hi there, thank you for raising this question. First, I want to affirm your courage to share your concerns. The fear you feel is normal, and many of my clients experience this fear when they first embark on their counseling sessions.

To overcome your fear and concern, I suggest you could:

• Identify what is causing you to have fear. Name the thoughts holding you back or causing you to avoid approaching the situation. Are you worried if you cannot “click” with the therapist, or are you fearful about sharing the problems with the therapist? These are questions that we can address before we approach the session.

• As this is your first session, pace yourself on what you want to share. You can start by addressing what the problem is and how this problem is affecting your life (i.e., school, family, or friends). You can also share how long you have been facing the problem and how you have attempted to overcome it. You may also share how you have been coping with the problem.

The first step in seeking help is always the hardest but take one action at a time. I want to encourage you to focus on the goals and outcomes that you would like to see happening as well.

Here is an article that you can use to learn more about how you can prepare for your first session (1).

1. 13 Tips to Help You Prepare for Your First Therapy Session

-J.Q. (Therapist)

4 Likes