Trust and emotional issues

I always get mad for no reasons for a short period of time and am always sad till the point where I feel like crying. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m weak, depressed, anxious or bipolar since I can be happy in the morning then get super mad or sad in the evening. Even when I’m with people I know, I feel lonely and I usually talk to myself about my emotions as though there are people in my brain to talk to me.

Whenever I feel sad, it can go up to 3 days instead of 2 weeks hence I’m not sure if I’m depressed or not since the internet and books says that it’s only considered depression if the sadness lasted for at least 2 weeks.

Is this normal? I don’t trust people easily, not even my family. I don’t want to look for psychiatrists and counsellors because I don’t feel like I have privacy since there is a chance they will contact my parents

2 Likes

Hello @4ever I can sense that it must be really tiring and distressing for you to go thru these emotions :people_hugging:

Maybe can we understand what are your concerns when if your parents find out ?

1 Like

I think it’s quite normal to go through a fluctuation of emotions through the day, especially if there were certain triggers. Do you notice any patterns when you get mad or sad?

I think only an actual therapist can diagnose whether you have depression or not. The duration of your feelings contribute but I think that’s not the only factor.

You mentioned that every time you feel sad, it can go up to 3 days. Did this only start recently or have you been feeling like this for a long time?

1 Like

Hi @4ever

I agree with @Jaws that only an actual psychiatrist or certified psychologist can diagnose you. The symptoms you’re experiencing may or may not be because of a condition, sometimes we just feel the way we feel due to circumstances/ experiences. It’s important to monitor your symptoms and jot down how it’s been affecting you.

I hear your fear, it’s a very valid fear but I would still encourage you to seek help because it’s not healthy to scroll through the internet and reading books (I’m guilty of this) seeking for answers. It can bring about a peace of mind to seek professional help to provide some answers, guidance and support.

If you’d like there’s many youth centric places like care corner (Mental Health for Youth (INSIGHT) - Care Corner Singapore l) that provides free anonymous mental health screening and even fully subsidised therapy for youths. I believe they won’t break confidentiality unless it’s an absolute need (high risk of harm to self or others) or if they require parental involvement, they’ll seek your approval first and work something out with you, it’s important to vocalists your needs.

Take care!

2 Likes

Hi @4ever

Thank you for sharing with us your struggles and concerns, I hear you and it sounds like you’re going through a lot right now, and it’s completely understandable to feel confused and overwhelmed by your emotions. It takes courage to acknowledge these feelings and reach out for support and I commend you for that.

Feeling a range of emotions, including anger, sadness, and loneliness, is a normal part of being human. However, when these feelings start to interfere with your daily life and relationships, it’s important to explore what might be underlying them.

You mentioned feeling unsure if you’re experiencing depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. It’s very normal to question what’s going on when emotions fluctuate so frequently. While the internet and books can provide some information, they can’t replace the expertise of a mental health professional who can help you understand your experiences in the context of your unique situation. It’s always best to speak to mental health professionals if you would like a diagnosis or to understand deeper about your struggles. You can try calling or walking in to a nearby > Family Service Centre to speak to one about your worries.

I also hear your concerns about privacy and trust. Confidentiality is a cornerstone of therapy, and therapists are bound by ethical guidelines to keep your information private. If you’re still hesitant, you could consider seeking out online therapy options or support groups where you can connect with others anonymously. Here are some options:

Please know that reaching out for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. We are also here to support you. Let us know how you’re doing ok? Hear from you soon.

Hi @4ever I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time and all of those emotions. Your feelings of anger, sadness, and loneliness could be indicative of various factors, including stress, anxiety, or depression. It’s okay to seek support, and there are confidential options available, such as helplines and online counseling services, that might offer more privacy. Remember, reaching out for support is a brave and important step towards understanding and managing your emotions. Take care, :yellow_heart:

1 Like