Am I mentally sick?

This recent few weeks… I’m having issues at school…my classmates would always abandoned me and I would be at lost slowly I started to feel very sad and those feelings reminds me of my childhood trauma ( this happens to me when I’m a child too)…I start to be so aware of my classmates small actions and words and it really hurts me … I try to tell myself not to be so sensitive but the words just go in my brain…and it has continuously for two weeks … every time I go back home after school I feel the urge to sleep more and eat more and at night I would start crying and the next day I feel so dread to go school… and whenever I’m alone those negative feelings will catch up to me… I feel so dead inside…

In recent weeks… I started to feel sad and being abandoned whenever someone left me out… especially in school when everyone hanging out as a group… every night I would cry… and the next day I would feel so dread to go school…when I’m back from school… I would immediately went to sleep…and my appetite would go big…and not much of interest in doing anything… am I lazy or am I sick…

I’m sorry to hear that you feel sad and abandoned, @Joe. Is this something that only started recently? I wonder if there are any other friends that you can speak with outside of this group?

It seems like we have the same coping mechanism - to eat more and sleep more. I think it’s normal to cope with these measures but it doesn’t solve the root problem of you feeling abandoned.

Do you have a CCA in school? Maybe that could be a good way to start making new friends. Nevertheless, our community is here for you - feel free to let us know how we can support you!

I have my friends but normally we will be texting each other….I tried to make friends through other platforms too…hopefully it will make me feel better.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @Joe. Sometimes it’s really affinity so please don’t ever blame yourself for this.

I’ve also had periods in my life where I had no friends and I’ve felt lonely as well. But if you zoom out and look at the grander scheme of things, things will change (and hopefully for the better).

I get that classmates will be the ones that you hang out with for a longer period of time and it’s natural to desire to feel accepted within the group. But if things don’t work out, will you get to change classes?

Not sure which level you are in but if you’re in secondary school, maybe classes will change when you go through streaming. Or if you’re in ITE / Poly / Uni then maybe you can switch classes depending on modules?

Currently, I’m studying in ITE ….the course doesn’t have any changing classes so I guess I need to try to bear it while trying not to think too much about it.

1 Like

I see, let us know if things get better! We’re here for you if you ever want to talk more. :hugs:

Hi @Joe

I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time at school, and I appreciate your honesty and willingness to share your feelings and experiences with me. It takes a lot of courage to open up about your emotions, especially when they are linked to past traumas - and I commend you for your bravery.

I hear you, feeling isolated and abandoned by your classmates can be incredibly painful, and it’s understandable that these experiences would trigger memories of your childhood trauma. I want to acknowledge that your feelings are completely valid, and it’s not your fault for being sensitive to the words and actions of others. Sometimes, past wounds can make us more vulnerable to similar feelings in the present.

The physical and emotional symptoms you’ve described, such as increased sleep, appetite changes, and crying at night, are all indicative of the emotional toll this situation is taking on you. It’s a natural response to distress and sadness. I would like to affirm you that you don’t have to go through this alone, and there are ways to seek support.

It’s a positive step that you’ve recognized the need to reach out and share your feelings. Talking to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional can provide you with a safe space to express your emotions and receive the support you need. They can also help you explore strategies to cope with the negative feelings and improve your overall well-being.

For starters, you can also try these simple activities to help you manage the negative feelings:

If you’re comfortable with it, do consider discussing your feelings with a counselor or therapist who can provide guidance and techniques for managing your emotions and the impact of past trauma. Therapy can be a valuable resource for working through these difficult emotions and developing resilience.

Last but not least, I want to affirm you that healing is a process, and it’s okay to seek help and take the time you need to recover. You are not alone in this journey, and there are people who care about your well-being and want to support you.

Take care!

1 Like