Anxiety from studying

Hello, I am studying for an exam that is on Next Monday. However I just started and I am really feeling really anxious as I am scared i cant complete my studies (800 pages) and I am afraid of failing as well… I am starting to regret not studying earlier like from last thurs and instead wasted my time doing not so meaningful stuff, like I have wasted 2 days doing nothing and absolutely nothing value adding at all although I admit, I have rested well. It is part of my plan to start my studies this week but seeing the number of theories i have to study, I felt overwhelmed and thats when the anxiety and the regrets comes in. And what makes it worse is i have a sudden family plan this weekend which was not part of the initial plan as they want to make use of the long weekend to enjoy and i cant reject as its been a loooong while since we had this family activity and my mum finally is open to going out due to the long break (she work shift and will usually not go out as she only has 1 day/week break). While i know of the various anti-anxiety techniques aka breathing all, it works for like 10mins and the tots and worries comes back very quickly which is very demotivating as well. Is there a way i can fix this issue?

Hi anonymous361

Thank you for reaching out courageously. Please be assured that it is fully understandable to feel anxious as exams are next Monday. Your concerns raised, too are 100% valid. Stay optimistic and focused as there is time before next Monday to catch up with some planning and time management.

I have worked with many students who have shared similar experiences so please don’t feel alone. With determination, and by adopting some of these strategies they used which worked for them, I believe you can manage your anxiety and make the most of your study time: :slight_smile:

1. Break down your study material: Divide the 800 pages into smaller chunks, creating a schedule with achievable daily goals. Focus on one topic at a time.
  2. Prioritize: Identify the most critical topics and allocate more time for those.
  3. Use active learning techniques: Summarize key points in your own words, create concept maps, or make flashcards to help retain information.
  4. Time management: Allocate dedicated study sessions, eliminating distractions during that time. Use the Pomodoro Technique (25 minutes of focused study + 5 minutes of break).
  5. Family plan adjustment: Communicate your concerns with your family, explaining your exam situation. They may be understanding and support your need for study time. Negotiate, where possible, such that you can still enjoy some family time but able to fit in studies as well.
  6. Self-care: Don’t neglect rest and relaxation. Use your breaks for activities that bring you joy and calmness.
  7. Anxiety management: In addition to breathing exercises, try:
    • Progressive muscle relaxation
    • Mindfulness meditation (even 5-10 minutes a day)
    • Physical activity (short walks or yoga)
    • Positive self-talk and affirmations
  8. Seek support: Share your concerns with friends or classmates, and ask for help if needed.
  9. Reframe regrets: Instead of dwelling on past procrastination, focus on what you can control now. Celebrate small victories, like completing a study session.

Remember, you’ve got this! Stay focused and optimistic. Good luck on your exam! :heart: