asking for a friend again

Asking for a friend : “as someone who actively prevents myself from emotionally maturing, i tend to exhibit extreme irresponsibility and recklessness, but only at certain periods. is this possibly bipolar? borderline personality disorder? what do I do with my life? How can i tell the difference?”

2 Likes

Hi @anonymous07 !

Thank you for asking on behalf of your friend, it’s admirable that your friend is seeking insight into their behavior and considering the possibility of underlying mental health conditions. However, it’s important to note that diagnosing mental health disorders should be done by a qualified healthcare professional, such as a psychiatrist or psychologist, through a comprehensive evaluation.

The behaviors your friend described could potentially be symptoms of various mental health conditions, including bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder (BPD), but it’s important to recognize that many factors contribute to these conditions, and each individual’s experience is unique.

Bipolar disorder involves periods of intense mood swings, including episodes of mania and depression, while BPD is characterized by unstable relationships, self-image, and emotions.

I would like you to encourage your friend to seek support from a mental health professional who can provide a thorough assessment and offer guidance on the best course of action.

Please also have your friend to look through this comprehensive list of providers according to location. There are GPs, and polyclinics that provide mental health assessment and support too. Click here - https://www.aic.sg/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Mind-Matters-Resource-Directory-Listings.pdf

In the meantime, your friend can also explore self-care practices such as mindfulness, healthy lifestyle habits, and engaging in activities that bring them joy and fulfillment.

Remember to approach these discussions with empathy and understanding, as seeking help for mental health concerns can be daunting for some people. Please let us know how your friend is coping and if your friend has decided to seek help.

Hear from you soon!

1 Like