Dealing with angry people

I find it difficult to talk to my sister as she gets angry so easily. We don’t live together, but we work together. Whenever I tell her not to be so reactive or sensitive, she would tell me that i am ‘gaslighting’ her that she is sensitive. Her voice and tone makes me very anxious as she would speak in a irritable and angry tone whenever you say or ask her something. I am feeling very low now because of this.

1 Like

Hmmm what happened that made you say this ? Have you tried bringing this up to your sister ?

Hi @Suhan88

Thank you for sharing your struggles with us, I hear you and I’m truly sorry to hear about the challenges you’re facing with your sister. I can hear that it is really difficult to handle this situation where communication feels strained and her reactions are causing you anxiety. It’s understandable that you’re feeling low as a result.

I think it might be helpful to recognize that everyone has different communication styles and triggers, and it can be difficult to find common ground, especially in a work setting where you interact regularly.

Perhaps, you can practice empathy and validation when communicating with your sister, even if you disagree with her? :slight_smile: Sometimes it may help if you try acknowledging her emotions without judgment and express understanding of her perspective, which can make the conversation less tense.

Also, have you considered having a calm and honest conversation with her outside of work, perhaps in a neutral setting, to express how her reactions are affecting you and explore ways to improve your communication? Perhaps you can ask her to meet you for a meal outside of the work setting, or to just hang out together and then bring up this topic to share your feelings with her too.

You can try out our tool here to help you with this conversation :slight_smile:

Let me know if you’ve tried these suggestions and whether they helped in any way. Hear from you soon!