Fantasizing or Plotting out unreal stories in your mind.

Ever since i was a kid, I would create scenarios in my mind to my liking or favor that is, i guess and outlet. Im not sure if its normal or healthy but sometimes the stories in my mind goes on for days or weeks where i dream about being with someone ( let say a celerity) or achieving things that are not achievable in reality.

i try to put it to some good use to inspire me to write eg. Novela etc but in most cases i feel that i have lack of control of my own mind. I understand that its normal for everyone to fantasize sometime but for me, It feels that its a little unhealthy cause it can go on for days or weeks -

Im trying to make sense of it cause i had a traumatic upbringing and it has become my coping mechanism. Any tips would be great and much appreciated. :slight_smile: :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @ManoEsperanza

Thank you for sharing this with us! It’s completely understandable how our minds can create scenarios as a way of coping, especially when faced with a traumatic upbringing. Your ability to acknowledge and explore this is an important step in understanding yourself better :slight_smile:

It’s actually quite common for people to daydream or engage in elaborate fantasies, and in moderation, it can be a healthy way to escape temporarily and even inspire your creative pursuits. However, when these fantasies start interfering with your daily life or sense of control, it’s worth processing it with someone, or a mental health professional.

I would like to ask a few questions for you to process and think about, and if you have time you can answer these:

• Can you recall any specific situations or triggers that seem to lead to these prolonged daydreams or fantasies?
  • How do you feel after these episodes of daydreaming? Do they provide you with a sense of relief or serve as a distraction from certain emotions or thoughts?

It might also be good to use some helpful strategies to manage the fantasies so that you can continue with your daily functioning. Here are a couple of strategies that may help:

1. Mindfulness and grounding: Practice mindfulness exercises to become more aware of the present moment. Techniques like meditation and deep breathing can help you gain better control over your thoughts and bring your focus back to reality when needed. You can also try this activity: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

2. Journaling: Consider keeping a journal where you can channel your creative thoughts and fantasies. This can provide a safe outlet for your imagination while allowing you to reflect on your feelings and experiences. It’s great that you currently write, so this journal can be a helpful outlet for you to process your thoughts and feelings at the same time :slight_smile:

I would also like to encourage you to seek the support of a therapist or counselor, which can be immensely beneficial. They can help you further explore the relationship between your coping mechanisms and your past, and provide you with tools to create a healthier balance between fantasy and reality.

Lastly, I’m proud of your willingness to understand and address this fantasizing issue! :slight_smile: This is truly a positive step towards self-awareness.

Let us know if you’ve tried any of the strategies and how it worked for you?
Keep us posted on how you’re doing too!

2 Likes

Hi @cottonsoul ,

Yeah I used to practice about 5-10 mins of meditation or mindfulness but that was about 6 years ago/ Life has been going downhill generally now cause of the nature of my current job - Long hours at the night and inconsistent days of work that i have to anticipate.

I am working and contemplating on taking a course in IT - Block Chain. In hopes that i can get a more structured lifestyle. I know 9-5 is mundane to most people but i find solace in predictability. Cause i can plan out my week and make time for things like gym, my hobbies- gaming night,busking etc .

I do still do journaling but the irony of it all is that over time i have forgotten the lessons that i have learned cause of my current living state. I used to talk and ponder about deep issues like questioning our existence, how time have change for eg. i used to listen to Radio dramas and now its replaced with Podcasts - Stuff like that.

I will check out the link now and before i go…
I am seeking counselling with Club Heal and i was asked why? because i seemed mentally stable but the thing is like in the example of fantasies and internal dialog that i have ( sometime full of rage ) i guess i just wanted to learn ways to control my mindset. Cause I definitely can’t control the people or the outcome of situations but i can have a genuine positive outlook on how i look at myself and manage my mindset.

Thank you again and Have a great weekend,
Mano Esperanza.

2 Likes