Imagination

Hi, i just want to ask if it normal for me to imagine something bad could happen. For example like when im cooking i imagine it would explode and sometimes when im cutting something it makes imagine i cut myself. This happen frequently and im a bit scared i would do it unknowingly. One more example, i imagine the pressure cooker would explode infront of me and then i got scared and move away from it. So my question is, is this behaviour normal? and why i became like that.?

1 Like

Hi @kiromiU!

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. It’s understandable to have concerns about these kinds of thoughts, and I appreciate you reaching out for clarification and support. It’s not uncommon for people to experience intrusive or distressing thoughts from time to time, especially when engaging in activities that involve potential risks, such as cooking or using appliances like pressure cookers.

What you’re describing sounds like a phenomenon known as intrusive thoughts, which are unwanted or distressing thoughts that pop into your mind unexpectedly. While these thoughts can be unsettling, it’s important to know that experiencing them doesn’t mean you’re going to act on them. In fact, many people experience intrusive thoughts without ever acting on them. You can read more on identifying and managing intrusive thoughts here: Managing intrusive thoughts - Harvard Health. Some questions I encourage you to ask yourself are:

• How long have you been experiencing these thoughts? Have they become more frequent or intense over time?
  • How do these thoughts typically make you feel? Do they cause you significant distress or anxiety?
  • Are there specific situations or triggers that seem to make these thoughts more likely to occur?

There are various reasons why someone might experience intrusive thoughts. They can be linked to anxiety, stress, or even just a natural response to being aware of potential dangers in your environment. Our minds often try to protect us by alerting us to possible risks, but sometimes these thoughts can become more frequent or intense, especially if we’re already feeling anxious or stressed.

While occasional intrusive thoughts are normal, if they’re causing you significant distress or interfering with your daily life, I would encourage you to explore strategies to manage them by reaching out to a mental health professional (https://www.mindset.com.sg/sites/mindset/files/mindset/understanding-mental-health/NCSS-Directory-on-Mental-Health-Services.pdf). They can help you better understand the underlying factors contributing to your intrusive thoughts and work with you to develop coping mechanisms to manage them more effectively. There are various techniques such as mindfulness, grounding exercises, and cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), which can be effective in helping to reduce the frequency and intensity of intrusive thoughts and alleviate associated anxiety.

Lastly, I want you to know that you’re not alone, and there are resources and support available to help you navigate through this. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Your well-being is important, and we’re here to support you in any way we can. :slight_smile:

2 Likes