i dont know what to do

I dont know what is going on with me. I have a ton of assignments that I should be working on and completing, but I cannot muster the courage to start on anything at all. Its been weeks of just waking up, feeling so stressed and just lying in bed all day with all the stressful thoughts filling my entire brain but I just cant get myself to start work. I force myself to sit in front of the computer to try and get some work done but I literally cannot focus… my mind is racing everywhere, worried that my boyfriend, my friends, my family are all gonna leave me cos im so absolutely useless that i cant even get anything done. I feel this racing heartbeat that pounds at my chest + stomach so hard that it kinda hurts and ive been feeling so dizzy and lightheaded I just want to collapse but its not like Ive even done anything so why do i even want to collapse… lol i tried going to 2 school counsellors, visited a doctor and a psychiatrist and everyone just told me “actually you can achieve things if you put your heart to it, you’re perfectly fine” but is this really what normal people go through and have i not been putting my heart into it already… but no matter how hard i try to push myself out to start work i just CANT… idk anymore

4 Likes

Hi @heartracing

First of all, thank you for sharing your struggles with us on this platform, it takes so much courage to be authentic about feeling at a loss, and I commend you for that.

I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way, and it sounds like you’re going through a very difficult time. I want to assure you that what you’re experiencing is valid, and you’re not alone in feeling overwhelmed. Again, it takes a lot of strength to reach out for support, and I’m here to help you explore these feelings.

Firstly, I want to acknowledge that the difficulties you’re facing are real and completely deserve attention. It’s actually very common for people to feel paralyzed by stress and anxiety, making it difficult to focus on tasks. I’m glad that you’ve sought support from school counselors, a doctor, and a psychiatrist, but I can imagine that it’s disheartening when their responses haven’t fully addressed your struggles.

I’d like to suggest considering a few strategies to cope with the overwhelming feelings you’re experiencing:

1) Break tasks into smaller steps: When you’re facing a large workload, breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks can make it less intimidating. Focus on completing one small step at a time, and hopefully this will help you to complete the tasks in a manageable way.

2) Self-compassion: Be kind to yourself. Understanding that your struggles don’t make you useless or a burden. I affirm to you that all of us do face challenges, and it’s totally okay to seek help and take things one step at a time. Remember to have compassion on yourself :slight_smile:

3) Mindfulness and relaxation techniques: Practice techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation to help calm your racing thoughts and reduce the physical symptoms of stress.

4) Consider seeking additional professional help: If the support you’ve received so far hasn’t been sufficient, it might be worthwhile to explore other therapy options. A licensed therapist or counselor could provide more specialized support tailored to your unique situation. For starters, you can try these online options or go to a nearest Family Service Centre to seek support.

Online counselling:
Limitless : Talk To Someone - Limitless
CPH chat : https://www.cphonlinecounselling.sg/hc/en-us
IMH CHAT : Home - CHAT
http://ec2.sg : https://fycs.org/ec2-sg

Remember, it’s okay to ask for help, and your feelings are valid. Do continue to keep us updated about how you’re coping, we’d love to support you more.

Hear from you soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it because the assignments are not interesting enough to you or is it because you’re preoccupied with all the other thoughts?

hello @heartracing

I would put myself in your shoes because I have the same thoughts with you. It is a struggle to want to get things done but feel so overwhelmed and tired that you become dreaded to start the ball rolling.

How i can validate your feelings is that remember, change takes time and effort. Start with small, manageable steps, and gradually incorporate these strategies into your daily routine.

You might want to start by developing a realistic schedule or to-do list. Allocate specific time slots for tasks, and stick to your schedule as closely as possible. This helps create structure and accountability.

Identify high-priority tasks and tackle them first. This builds momentum and a sense of accomplishment, making it easier to approach other tasks.

Break your work into intervals, typically 25 minutes of focused work followed by a short break. This can enhance productivity and reduce the tendency to procrastinate.

It is important to create a conducive work environment. A clean, organized space can positively impact your mindset and reduce distractions.

Replace negative thoughts with positive affirmations. Focus on your strengths and past successes, reminding yourself that you are capable. :hugs:

When negative thoughts arise, question their validity. Are they based on facts, or are they assumptions? Challenge negative self-talk to reframe your perspective. I encourage you to acknowledge and celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. This reinforces a positive mindset and motivates you to continue making progress. Engage with positive influences, whether it’s supportive friends, motivational content, or inspiring stories. Surrounding yourself with positivity can uplift your mood. I was unmotivated and actually watched a movie called Sing 2 (it is available on netflix) and it helped me become inspired and believe my own potentials.

I hope you are able to become the best version of yourself, all the best to you!

1 Like

Don’t worry, you are fine. You should take a few days break and take your mind of of things. Perhaps not to focus about the amount of work you have instead maybe do something you enjoy. One thing that worked for me was to write down all my stresses in a book or talk to them to a friend it really helps! Remember, do not force yourself to do something you do not want to do. It is not the best for yourself and would add more pressure. Indeed putting your heart into things help but you should take a short break before anything else. I hope this will help!

1 Like

Unrelated to this thread but omg I watched Sing 2 recently too and it’s really very inspirational. 10/10 recommend for anyone who needs a break from studying haha

1 Like