I dont think my parents understand what im going through

If I’m from quite a well-off family, does it mean I can’t have any mental issues, since I don’t have any problems in life so far? My parents always tell me that what I don’t know what real stress is and what it will be like when I am an adult. I’m not sure if this is supposed to make me feel better, because all it does is making me feel like ending my life.

1 Like

Hi @girashi

Firstly, thank you for being so open and courageous to share your feelings here on this platform. It takes a lot of inner strength to actually be so vulnerable, and I commend you for this.

I hear you, and I can imagine how frustrating it might feel for you. Sometimes parents may not fully understand how problems can actually affect us and cause real stress to us. What is “small” to them, may actually be a huge and intense issue for us. I want to assure you that it is a common misconception that adults usually have - they think that real stress only happens when we are adults or when we’re older; which may not be true all the time. Sometimes children and young people experience real stress and it is different from the way adults perceive things as well. I would encourage you to understand that adults and young people have vastly different views - and that is normal.

I know it may sound like adulthood is going to get worse or more intense. I can’t guarantee that it won’t, but I can assure you that if you continue to press on and work on becoming a better version of yourself every day, and equip yourself with useful skills in life - you would definitely be able to manage life as an adult! :slight_smile:

Here are some helpful life skills that will definitely be helpful for you, as you grow:

There are many other useful life skills that can help us to get through life’s difficult moments, the more you equip yourself, the better prepared you are :slight_smile:

Also, if you ever feel very stressed or upset, please know that there are people out there who actually care for you and your growth - such as your friends, family, and other mental health professionals. Please do not hesitate to contact them as they can provide support to you too.

Last but not least, I encourage you to press on and don’t give up. However, if you ever feel overwhelmed or are in immediate danger, please reach out to a crisis hotlines:

I’ll share one of the famous quotes about not worrying so much about your future:

“If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” Roy T. Bennett

Focus on who you are now, and what you can do now to be a better you in the future.
You can do it!

Keep us updated on how you’re coping, we’ll be here to support you too! :slight_smile: