I feel so worried about my grades

I was hoping a lot and trying hard to get a scholarship since school started because of the expensive school fee. But, I feel like it is impossible now.

Sometimes, I am forgetful and miss some important stuff like grading criteria in assignments. And I know that no matter what I write in my assignments, it’s actually based on grading criteria to get high marks.

It’s just that I really, really don’t want to put any more burden on my guardians. No one is actually forcing me to get high gpa but I just feel stressful.

5 Likes

Hi Kitty! I understand how you are feeling right now, because I face the same exact situation as you once before and also now. I feel that grades do not define you as a person, however, the discipline, perseverance and character you have shown towards your studies that matters the most because it will bring you a long way. I understand the stress you must have felt about your current financial situations in terms of your studies and wanting to get good grades. What I can suggest is to not worry about what is going on in your mind, but to actually focus 100% on what you need to achieve currently. For example, for your assignments, I suggest having a journal to write down the important information that you must do for the assignments, and tick whenever you have done them. This will help you to be more systematic in how you handle your assignments and will be less stressful. In terms of my experience, I always strive to do at least one percent better than the previous assignment rather than thinking of getting full marks to not have high expectations that would reduce my self-confidence. I would celebrate each small milestone I have achieved, which I believe doing this will make you more motivated and can score a good GPA. I wish you all the best and remember, just do well in your studies, for yourself and not for others and you will appreciate yourself more!

4 Likes

Hi Kitty! I have the same worries as you to be really honest this is because I’m actually struggling with this current semester as it is related to production which I have to idea on how to do nor am I able to understand fully what is being taught. The way I stop my worries is by trying to ask for help from my peers and lecturers, revise and re-practice what is taught. The class practices I will redo it and send it to my teacher on TEAMs to receive feedback and see if I improved or if I am still doing it wrongly and then I will ask for either tips or if they can suggest any tutorial videos on YouTube. This helps to reduce my worries as I find that I am putting in the effort to try so even if I don’t do fantastically I know that it is not because I had given up and accepted the fate that “oh I’m gonna fail or do badly!”. However, it is still worrying for me when I see the works produced by others and the scores they received. For that I myself am still trying yo figure out the perfect way to handle it but so far, what I have been doing is by remembering that I did put in my upmost effort but I’m still lacking so I will strive to do even harder. I make the negativity of my bad grade as my motivation to do better for other assignments and the other semesters. After all of you are in year 1, you have a long way to go and you don’t have to be too focused on your grade for this semester just do what you can and hope to do even better for the end of sem test/exam and the next semester (by looking up what will be taught and see if I am able to read up, learn the basics or attend any workshops , can be found in the diploma page in the TP website as well as in TPOSS under Academic progression. If you are in Year 2, you still have semester 2 to help you. Always try your hardest and be happy for what you receive in the end despite it not being what you hope for as you have worked hard and the hard work placed in should still be celebrated😁. Hope this helps you and give you encouragement.

4 Likes

Hello Kitty!, I was in the same situation as you, but it happened during O’lvl. I end up being waaaay below my expectation. But right now, i do still feel happy. One thing i realise is that grades dont mean anything much. It is the life skills and lessons that you can take away, and apply it in the future to improve yourself. Some life skills are such as planning timetables properly, respecting your work and play times. Your guardians would be happy no matter how well you do, and will appreciate you in helping them. I am also pretty sure that they wouldn’t want to see you being very stressed out, to get a high gpa, due to the school fees. But dont worry, its not the end yet, there are still other assignment that you can use to push your grades. Now that you know where you have gone wrong (Which is missing grading criteria), find ways to improve on those areas before starting other assignments. All the best! You can do it!!

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Hi @Kitty

First of all, I’m sorry for the delay in response and I thank you for your patience. I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re feeling so worried and pressured about your school fees and your school results, and I appreciate your willingness to open up about your concerns. It sounds like you’re facing a lot of pressure regarding your scholarship and academic performance.

I understand that it’s been a few months now, but I would like to help you to process this together, so let’s explore this further:

• Can you share with us how you’re coping at this moment, and how your academic journey is going so far?
  • You mentioned feeling forgetful and stressed about meeting grading criteria. How does this stress impact your daily life and your overall motivation?

I want to encourage you that you’re not alone in this journey. Have you thought of reaching out to your school’s academic advisors or counselors for support? I believe that they can provide guidance and assistance to help alleviate some of the academic pressure you’re feeling. It might be good to also ask them about the criteria and how you’re doing with your studies and try to gauge where you are with the scholarship idea too.

I would also like to encourage you to try out a few things to help you when you’re feeling overwhelmed.

1. Mindfulness techniques like deep breathing or meditation, can help you reduce anxiety and regain focus. Have you ever tried any relaxation exercises to help? If not, you can try this activity here: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

2. Stay positive with the way you speak to yourself, by challenging the negative talk and replacing them with realistic, positive statements. You can also try this activity: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Last but not least, I want to encourage you that it’s absolutely okay to seek help and prioritize your well-being. You’re not alone in this! Let us know how you’re doing and we’ll be here to support you.

2 Likes