Anxiety about receiving exam results

I’m receiving my end of year exam results tmr.

Because of this, I started feeling really nervous, anxious, scared about it. I’m mostly worried about failing english or not passing at least 3 subjects and ultimately not being able to promote to Sec 4 next year.

I feel like it might seem irrational or a bit extreme to have the bar so low, but my test results from this year have not been the best, with mostly B4s and just passing or failing my 2 pure sciences and A-Math.

What’s not helping is that my English teacher also texted in my class group chat that she wanted to ‘skin and barbecue some people (lightheartedly)’ for their exam performance. I know she’s (kinda) joking, but it’s making me worry more that I’m one of them.

I told my mom about my concerns and she reassured me and said that I probably didn’t fail and that I should be more confident in myself.

But I’m not confident in any of them, regardless of how the exam went for me.

How do I stop being so irrationally scared and concerned over my grades? This happens every single time I receive any kind of test results, even if they aren’t that important.

Heyyy @_bananakat, I think your fears and anxiety are valid, especially when you feel like your grades haven’t been up to what you’ve liked them to be and to top it off the teacher’s message isn’t reassuring either.

I know it may be convenient to think the worst and feel like the world is going to crumble beneath your feet, but I’m here to tell you that your grades don’t define your worth or who you are. You are so much more than it. I don’t have too much to offer in terms of advice but I just hope you don’t beat yourself up too much, regardless of the outcome. After all, you worked hard for this and you deserve credit for that too. Best of luck :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Hi _bananakat

It takes a huge amount of courage to acknowledge, step forward and ask for help for exam result anxiety. Please know you are not alone. Almost everyone feels similarly so your feelings are fully valid and understandable. I believe it is normal to feel nervous before receiving exam results, especially with concerns about promotion to Sec 4.

To manage irrational fears and build confidence:

1.⁠ ⁠Reframe negative thoughts: Challenge exaggerated worries.
2.⁠ ⁠Focus on effort, not outcome: Celebrate hard work.
3.⁠ ⁠Visualize success: Imagine achieving desired results.
4.⁠ ⁠Prepare for different scenarios: Plan for best/worst-case.
5.⁠ ⁠Self-care: Engage in relaxing activities.
6.⁠ ⁠Positive self-talk: Encourage yourself.
7.⁠ ⁠Realistic expectations: Understand grades aren’t definitive.

Please know that one exam result doesn’t define your worth. ⁠Mistakes are opportunities for growth. Your mom’s reassurance is genuine. I believe she is speaking from her experience, and she is a good pillar of support for you to lean on no matter the outcome. Results aren’t the only measure of success. You’ve got this! :heart:

1 Like