I really hate myself

Is it normal for people to hate themselves? When i try to tell other people that i hate myself, they tell me its normal and everyone has insecurities. I think theyre trying to be udnerstanding but i feel like theyre undermining how i feel.
I dont like anything about myself. From the way i act to the way i look and talk :frowning: I feel so ashamed when im talking to others and notice things that make them better than me. How should i deal with this :frowning:

1 Like

Hey @anonymous58, I totally get where you’re coming from, and it’s okay to feel this way sometimes. Sure, we all have our insecurities and moments of self-doubt, but when self-hate becomes a constant thing, it’s definitely not something to brush off as “normal.”

First things first, it’s important to recognize that your feelings are valid. So, kudos to you for speaking up about it. It takes a lot of courage to admit these things. :muscle:

Do you talk to yourself a lot? Catch yourself when you start those negative thoughts. Try flipping them around and giving yourself credit where it’s due. It might feel weird at first, but it can make a difference. Self-acceptance doesn’t mean you have to love every aspect of yourself immediately. It’s a gradual process, and it’s okay to take small steps towards self-improvement and self-love. :two_hearts:

1 Like

Hi there, sorry to hear what you have been going through and I appreciate that you feel comfortable enough to share this online. I can imagine how demoralising we can feel in the moments of self-doubt and self-hate. :pensive:

In this digital age, it is no doubt at times we might find ourselves subconsciously comparing with our peers and feel demoralise as everyone seems to be doing better off. I want to reassure this feeling is normal as I’ve also feel this sometimes too.

It can certainly be challenging to break away from these overwhelming feeling as we are constantly updated with the ideal society standards, positive achievement and happenings that our peers seem to post online.

It is great that you consulted others about this. Wondering whether you’ve had a chance to speak to your close friends on a deeper level and what have you done in the past to manage such situations?

Feel free to update us whenever you want to :heart:

1 Like

Hi @anonymous58, thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way, I can imagine how disheartening it feels… I think it’s important to recognize that many people experience self-doubt, self-criticism, and insecurity at various points in their lives. Even though these feelings are common, if they’re not managed properly, they can be very distressing and detrimental to your overall well-being.

Here are some steps that you can consider in dealing with these feelings of self-dislike:

• Talk to a counsellor - If you find that these feelings of self-dislike are interfering with your daily life, relationships, or overall happiness, it’s important to consider speaking with a mental health professional, such as a therapist or your school counselor. They can provide you with the necessary tools and support to address the root causes of these feelings and help you develop healthier self-perceptions :blush:
  • Be compassionate to yourself :blush: Please do treat yourself with the same kindness and understanding that you would offer to a friend. You can also try to challenge negative self-talk and replace it with more compassionate and realistic thoughts about yourself. You can try out this activity : Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
  • Set realistic goals for yourself - Sometimes, setting small, achievable goals for self-improvement can help boost your self-esteem. Celebrate your successes and look out for rainbows, no matter how minor they may seem, and please acknowledge your progress over time! :blush: You can also read about self-esteem here - Tips and techniques to improve self-esteem - Article
  • Practice Self-Care! Engage in self-care activities that help you relax and reduce stress. Try to include exercise, mindfulness, hobbies, or spending time with supportive friends and family as part of your routine :blush: You can learn to how develop a self-care plan here: Developing a self-care plan - Article

I hope these few strategies can help you to feel supported for this season. Please do remember that improving your self-esteem is a gradual process, and it’s totally okay to seek help along the way. You don’t have to go through this alone, this community is here for you too!

Please take care of yourself and continue to build a positive self-perception and a healthier mindset! :blush:

2 Likes