Is it normal to suddenly feel really bad?

There’s no other way I really know how to say this, I just feel awful and it seems to have come out of nowhere. I have a tendency to bottle my emotions and I am terrible and talking about my feelings, so I feel this might be the consequence of that. I think it started about a week ago, right after I got assigned all my graded projects. My self-esteem has tanked and I can’t even bear to look in the mirror because of how ugly I feel. I get easily irritated at the smallest things and today, while I was out with my friend, I was constantly on the verge of crying because I just wanted to go back home. Before this, I had started to try and take care of myself more by doing regular skincare and working out every day so it sucks now that I barely have to motivation to keep doing that. At the same time, they’re the things that are helping me hang on, so I’m gonna try my best to keep consistent. This is probably the worst I’ve ever felt in my life and I just want it to end! What should I do?

2 Likes

Hi @owl

Firstly, thank you so much for sharing with us your thoughts and feelings - it takes so much courage to be open here with us and I commend you for that. I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult time. It’s truly very challenging when these overwhelming feelings seem to surface unexpectedly, especially when they affect your sense of self-worth and daily life.

Sometimes, bottling up emotions can lead to a build-up that seems to come crashing down without warning. I think it’s great that you’re recognizing this pattern and trying to make sense of what might be causing these intense emotions.

The pressure from graded projects can weigh heavily on your shoulders and impact your self-esteem. I can imagine feeling this sense of ugliness and the inability to look at yourself in the mirror is a very distressing experience. Your efforts to take care of yourself with regular skincare and exercise show immense strength and resilience, even when it’s really difficult to maintain motivation during such a tough period.

I can sense that the emotions you feel can be such a struggle, especially when every little thing seems to push you closer to tears. It’s okay to acknowledge that your coping mechanisms, like skincare and exercise, are important, even if it’s a struggle to keep up with them right now. If you feel ready, I encourage you to try deep breathing or positive self-talk which can help you to cope with the overwhelming moments too.

I would like to encourage you to consider seeking support. Sometimes, speaking to a counselor or therapist can offer a safe space to unpack these feelings and help develop strategies to navigate this difficult time. Additionally, confiding in a trusted friend or family member about what you’re going through could also provide some relief.

To kick start the process, you can try out either of these online options which will be helpful for you to discuss your feelings:

1. Limitless : Talk To Someone - Limitless
  2. CPH chat : https://www.cphonlinecounselling.sg/hc/en-us
  3. IMH CHAT : https://www.imh.com.sg/CHAT/Pages/default.aspx
  4. ec2.sg : https://fycs.org/ec2-sg

Remember, it’s okay not to have all the answers right now. It’s important to be patient and kind to yourself as you navigate these feelings. Seeking support and acknowledging these emotions are courageous steps toward healing and finding a way forward.

You’re not alone in this, we’re here to support you. Do keep us updated on how you’re coping.

1 Like

You’re doing a good job explaining how you feel, @owl.

It does sound like you’re feeling very overwhelmed with all the things your facing. Working out is a good way to keep your mind off things - is there anyway you could start small even if you have no motivation? The hardest part is starting but once you start, even if it’s just a walk around the park, you’ll find the energy to continue working out.

Hey @owl

Thank you for sharing how you feel

Would it help if you start small to release your emotion, maybe getting a journal? Talking to someone can seem like a huge jump/ step so you can start small by writing down your feelings in a journal in hopes this will help release your bottled up feelings. Sometimes you don’t have to write in proper sentences or you don’t even need to write, you could draw it out.

You could give it a try and I hope it helps you! Take care.

1 Like