Job hunt woes (not my first time)

i’m so scared of job hunting that i cant even actively edit my resume without crying. with an incomplete resume, i cant actively apply for roles that interests me. not being able to send out a job application has made me feel pathetic. seeing everyone, esp young adults, go to work made me question what am i even doing with my life. i’m in my mid twenties, i feel incredibly lame.

i’m already diagnosed with mild depression and social anxiety. i was prescribed pills a few months ago for my diagnosis and i’ve been taking it everyday.

i think my job hunting woes caused a relapse in my depression and idk what to do.

1 Like

I understand. my anxiety is job related n mostly affected by job hunting. Try to push your exposure to send out resumes until u can handle it better. Remember to rest in between

1 Like

Hi queso

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with job hunting and feeling overwhelmed. Thank you for the courage you have shown by coming forward with your struggles. It’s completely understandable and normal and especially valid given your depression and social anxiety diagnosis.

Firstly, acknowledge that:

1. You’re not alone: Many people face similar challenges in job hunting. By taking small steps and consistent actions, i believe you can overcome the current challenges so please take heart and keep going.

2. Your feelings are valid: It’s normal to feel pathetic, frustrated, or scared when facing difficulties. Keep going despite. What small actions can you do to get started?

3. Depression and anxiety are treatable: Continue taking your prescribed medication and consider therapy or counselling for additional support.

To break this cycle:

1. Resume editing in small steps: Start with tiny, manageable tasks, like editing one section at a time.

2. Seek support:

3. Job application baby steps:

• Begin with small, low-stakes applications (e.g., volunteer work or part-time jobs).
    • Gradually work up to more significant applications.
  4. Celebrate tiny wins: Acknowledge and celebrate each small achievement, even if it seems insignificant.

5. Focus on self-care:

• Prioritize activities that bring you comfort and joy.
    • Practice mindfulness, exercise, or relaxation techniques.

Remember, job hunting is a process, and it’s okay to take your time. You’re not defined by your job search or current situation. You are capable of growth, and there is support available. You can do this!:heart:

1 Like

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing what you’re going through—what you’re feeling is super valid. Job hunting can be incredibly overwhelming, and it’s completely okay to feel the way you do.

I’m also in the process of job searching, and I’ve struggled a lot with editing my resume. It took me 6 hours just to add three lines, so I totally get how daunting it can feel. The uncertainty and anxious self-doubt can be really tough to manage.

One thing that helped me was focusing on key contributions I’ve made in previous roles. Try to add in as many quantifiable numbers as possible to show the impact of your work. It might be helpful to take your time with it—if it takes a week or two, that’s okay. You could write a first version, even if it’s not perfect, and slowly revise it over a few days.

Remember, it’s a numbers game. Spend time slowly crafting your resume before applying to a lot of jobs at once. I once applied to over 100 jobs and only got interviews for 3 or 4 of them—this is very normal.

Take it one step at a time, and be gentle with yourself. You’ve got this.

Best,
Tommy

1 Like

Hi @queso, I’m really sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. Job hunting can be such a stressful and overwhelming process, and it’s okay to feel anxious about it. It sounds like you’re going through a tough time, and it’s important to be kind to yourself during this period.

Firstly, it’s great that you’re aware of your triggers. Recognizing what causes these feelings is a big step. It’s perfectly okay to take things one step at a time—editing your resume doesn’t have to be done all at once. Maybe try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks, and give yourself permission to take breaks when you need them.

It’s also important not to compare your journey with others’. Everyone’s path is different, and where others are at doesn’t define where you should be. Focus on being the best version of yourself and celebrate the small victories along the way, even if they feel insignificant to others.

Your mental health is a priority, so remember to lean on your support system and take care of yourself. It might also be worth considering talking to a counselor who can provide additional support and help you navigate through this challenging time.

You’re not alone in this, and it’s okay to seek help when you need it. Hang in there, and take things one step at a time. You’ve got this! :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like