Lost faith in myself

I have completed my national service since august last year and have been looking for job. Whenever a job application got reply for interview, i will get very nervous. Days before the interview, i will be anxious and nervous where i will start start to have difficulty sleeping, loss of appitite, have no mood in everything and sometimes feel like i start to feel nausea and feel breathless. During interview, i will get nervous and talk very less and have problem focusing. I tend to be very anxious and nervous till i cant talk. After my first interview, i have a phobia going for interview where i will give up the interview last minute as i feel nausea, heavy breathing and cant think of anything. I dont like to go out and always stay home and i lost interest in going out and feel staying at home is the best thing. I get irritated very easily over small thing and cant control myself getting irritated and fustrated easily and find no way to vent out my fustration. I tend to like to be alone and dont like to comunnicate with people. Do i have a psychology issue?

1 Like

Dear @user1146 ,

I’m so sorry to hear that things have been so tough for you. Thank you for reaching out for support. This shows great strength and self-awareness, which are important steps towards overcoming your challenges. Well done! :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

It is common for many people to feel nervous before interviews. However, it does seem like your anxiety is having a stronger impact on your life. You’re experiencing a range of physical symptoms like difficulty sleeping, loss of appetite, nausea, and breathlessness. Emotionally, you’re feeling anxious, losing interest in activities, and becoming easily irritated and frustrated. Behaviourally, you’re avoiding interviews, isolating yourself, and having difficulty communicating. All of these seem to have a significant impact on the quality of your daily life. These symptoms may be signs of an anxiety disorder, such as social anxiety or generalised anxiety disorder. It might be helpful to reach out to a qualified mental health professional for a proper diagnosis. You may want to consider making an appointment at the polyclinic to see a doctor and get a referral.

Having an assessment can help give you a name for what’s happening and if needed receive the help of medication. However, it is just as important to recognise that anxiety, while uncomfortable, is a natural response to stress. It’s your body’s way of preparing you to face challenges, and sometimes it can become overwhelming. Understanding this can help you reframe your anxiety not as a weakness, but as a part of your response system that needs some adjustment. It is possible to help your body system learn that you are safe even in an interview setting.

Here are some steps you can take to manage your anxiety:

First, seeking professional help from a counsellor or therapist can provide support and strategies to manage your anxiety. They can also help you understand if there is an underlying root cause of previous hurts. Practicing relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation can help reduce anxiety symptoms. Apps like Headspace or Calm might be useful too.

If you feel comfortable, please do share with us apart from going for interviews, where else does anxiety show up and how have you been managing it??

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle with regular exercise, a balanced diet, and good sleep hygiene can improve your overall well-being and reduce anxiety. Talking to friends or family members about your feelings can provide emotional support. You don’t have to go through this alone.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
CoolBreeze =)

2 Likes