My parents are too kind to others but not me

Every time my parents helped other people to open the door/pick up things(like a very dirty mop&the food package that others dropped on the floor)/and even caring more about other children’s.

At Prime biz Hub, when we were walking to the coffee shop to have dinner, my father saw a girl that almost fall down and wanted to hold her, but she did not fall down and it is none of his business
But, when I ask him to help me with simple things, but he don’t want to like when I don’t know the meaning of a word and I ask him for the meaning, he would ask me to check it my own despite knowing the meaning of the word and when I ask him to go to choose my shoes today as my shoe broke, he said that I was a big boy and should go myself despite seeing a girl that looks like Secondary 1 still going to choose with her mother.

2 Likes

Hi @Tee

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and I’m sorry that you feel this way about your parents. It sounds like you’re also feeling a bit overlooked or unsupported in certain situations like the coffeeshop example, and that can be understandably frustrating. It might be helpful to communicate your feelings with your father, expressing your need for support and understanding. If your father does not know what your needs are, he would not be able to understand or meet those needs, hence it would be important for you to share with him how you feel :slight_smile:

Here are a few suggestions on how you might approach this conversation:

1. Choose the Right Time: Find a calm and quiet moment to talk. This ensures that both of you can focus on the conversation without distractions.
  2. Express Your Feelings: Share your feelings with your father without blaming or accusing. Use “I” statements to communicate how certain situations make you feel.
  3. Be Specific: Provide specific examples, like the incidents you mentioned, to help your father understand the situations that have been bothering you.
  4. Ask for Understanding: Let your father know that you appreciate his kindness towards others but emphasize your need for his support in various situations as well.

I can also imagine that your parents might not be very receptive to your feelings or to the conversation. You could try to help him see things from your point of view and explain that you value his guidance and assistance and that it would mean a lot to you if he could offer support when you ask for it too.

Last but not least, I think it’s also important to seek a compromise and understand that everyone has different comfort levels and expectations. You could try to find a compromise that works for both of you, ensuring that your needs are acknowledged.

Remember, open communication is key to understanding each other better. It might take some time for your father to fully grasp your perspective, so be patient and persistent in expressing your feelings. With time and understanding, change may happen so don’t give up.

Let us know if you’ve tried any of the strategies out and keep us updated?
Hear from you soon.