Other Ways of Dealing with Negative Emotions

I get overwhelmed by my negative emotions quite easily, especially my feelings involving how lost I feel in life and how desperate I am to do well in my internship (with regards to the last time I posted, would be something I’ve mentioned I’m struggling with as well).

The way I cope when I’m overwhelmed is to cry. I’m not ashamed of crying, especially I do it in my room alone. The problem is how often I feel like crying because of how often these negative feelings overwhelm me. It physically exhuasts me, which in turn affects my thinking and potentially my performance which would affect my mood and make me overwhelmed and the cycle continues.

I may or may not bring this up with my counselor, but I still have almost a week till our meeting. Until then, does anyone have any suggestions on how else I could deal with these feelings?

3 Likes

Hi @tryingtheirbest !

Thank you for sharing with us your concerns on this platform. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re experiencing such overwhelming emotions, and I want you to know that your feelings are valid. It takes a lot of strength to reach out and share your struggles. It sounds like you’re going through an emotionally stressful time, especially with the pressure of your internship and the sense of feeling lost in life.

It’s commendable that you’re not ashamed of expressing your emotions through crying, as it can be a healthy release. However, I understand that the frequency of these overwhelming feelings is taking a toll on you both physically and mentally. Breaking that cycle can be helpful, and I’m here to offer some suggestions that might help until you can discuss this further with your counselor:

1. Mindfulness and Deep Breathing: Taking a few moments to focus on your breath can help ground you in the present moment. Deep, slow breaths can calm your nervous system and provide a sense of control over your emotions. Some tools that you can try too (Click on each!) :
  1. Journaling: Consider keeping a journal to write down your thoughts and emotions. This can be a therapeutic way to process what you’re going through and gain insights into the patterns of your feelings. You can also use these questions to help you process the negative thoughts - Helpful Questions to Counter Negative Thoughts when Journalling

2. Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself during these challenging times. Acknowledge that it’s okay to feel the way you do and treat yourself with the same kindness and understanding that you would offer to a friend.

3. Physical Activity: Engaging in regular physical activity can have a positive impact on your mood and overall well-being. It doesn’t have to be intense; even a short walk or some gentle stretching can make a difference.

4. Reach Out for Support: If you have friends or family you feel comfortable talking to, consider reaching out to them. Sometimes, sharing your thoughts and feelings with someone you trust can provide valuable support.

Remember, these suggestions are meant to offer some relief in the short term. It’s important to discuss your experiences and emotions with your counselor during your upcoming session to explore more specific strategies and support :slight_smile: In the meantime, please take care of yourself and update us on how you’re doing!

Hear from you soon! :slight_smile:

3 Likes