anxiety and feeling anxious

i have jst started intern yesterday and it was all going great. but suddenly, i felt overwhelmed and rushed to the toilet and released a flood of tears and cries and i was feeling anxious and didnt want to leave the toilet. my significant other (s/o) (not disclosing their gender) comforted me with words and texts as i called them and they made me feel me alot btr and i stopped crying and went back to work. fast forward to the end of the day, they had to go to sleep as they have a long day tmr and needed to wake up early. while they’re asleep, i suddenly felt upset and started crying more and more as i didnt wanted to work in that internship anymore but it was jst my first day. idk what to do, im crying as i am typing this and im in a dilemma abt leaving the internship as my my s/o doesnt want me to leave as she believes i can do it. im really stuck and im really anxious. the workspace jst isnt suit for me, the environment isnt for me, i feel lost, really lost rn.

Dear @user3030

First of all, I want to affirm your efforts for sharing with us on this platform - it certainly takes alot of courage to be so open about your feelings and thoughts.

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a tough time right now and it sounds like you had a very overwhelming day during your internship, and it’s completely understandable to feel anxious and upset about it. Sometimes starting a new thing (in your case it’s the internship) can be a challenging experience, and it’s completely normal to feel overwhelmed at times.

It’s great to hear that your significant other was there to support you and help you feel better earlier in the day. Their belief in your abilities is valuable, and their comfort can be a source of strength for you. It’s also okay to have mixed feelings about your internship after your first day, as it can take some time to adjust to a new environment and responsibilities.

I would like to affirm all your feelings of anxiety, nervousness, stress and confusion after your first day of work - it must be really overwhelming to the point that you feel like giving up and not returning to the workplace.

I would like to help you to process your thoughts a little about the internship experience. If you’re feeling lost and anxious, it might be helpful to take some time to reflect:

1. What specifically is causing you distress in your current workspace?
  2. Is it the work itself, the environment, the people, or a combination of factors?

Understanding the root of your discomfort can help you make a more informed decision about whether to continue with the internship or explore other options.

Additionally, do consider talking to someone at your internship, such as a supervisor or mentor, about your feelings. Sometimes they may be able to provide guidance, support, or even make accommodations to help you feel more comfortable in your role. They could also share more details or help you with your role, so that you don’t feel lost. You could also approach someone who sits near you and (maybe) engage in a short conversation, and start to make friends with people so that during lunch/break time you can take a breather and have your mind off the workload for a while.

If you do feel overwhelmed with anxiety, you could also try these activities to help you to stay calm:

I would also like to encourage you, that it’s okay to seek professional help if you continue to struggle with anxiety and overwhelming emotions. A therapist or counselor can provide you with strategies to cope with stress and make decisions about your career path and help you to manage the feelings of anxiety as well.

Take some deep breaths, and try to focus on what’s best for your mental and emotional health :slight_smile: It’s okay to ask for help and take the time you need to make the right decision for yourself.

Just know that you don’t have to go through this alone, and there are people who care about your well-being. Take it one step at a time! :slight_smile:

Let us know how you’re doing in the following days and keep us updated!

3 Likes

Hello @user3030

Thanks for sharing the struggles on your internship. It sounds like you had a rough first day at work and were feeling overwhelmed. I hope you know that it is ok to feel the way you did. You were outside of your comfort zone and perhaps that was causing you to feel anxious. If you don’t mind sharing more, I am curious what was the trigger that caused you to feel overwhelmed. Because you shared that it was all going great initially.

Personally, I have a lower stress tolerance and I also feel overwhelmed often at work. But what I find helpful is to note down the difficult task in my to-do list and first work on the other easier tasks. Sometimes, the difficult task does not seem so challenging after giving myself :sparkles:the space :sparkles:to process what’s required and checking in with my boss if the output expected is aligned. There were instances when the tasks seemed more complicated in my head, than what my boss actually expects me to deliver. :see_no_evil:

Like what @cottonsoul suggested, I recommend talking to the colleagues in your team or your mentor for guidance. It is normal for an intern to ask for help and I hope that you can give yourself time to adjust to your internship environment.

Also I’m glad that you had your significant other to lean on for support and it is heartening to hear how much they believe in you! :heart: I hope you would let that spur you to face the challenges one step at a time! :muscle:t2:

2 Likes