Anxiety and Dread

Does anyone feel anxious and dread to go to a place like work or to even look at assignments related to work?
I am a student intern - I am someone who overthinks and am always worried about how people feel about me - Recently i’ve been struggling to keep up with workload and managing my own emotions from other matters. External factors like my superior’s comments and tone is also affecting me.
Every night I sleep but I can’t turn off my brain. I keep thinking I rather be anyone or anything else than be myself right now. Sometimes I wish it would be nice to remove myself from these emotions just because it feels so uneasy and is so anxiety-inducing that I am mentally, physically and emotionally drained and tired.
Is there anyone who can relate or can offer some comfort?

1 Like

I am currently having a really hard time with my emotions and the chaos I feel internally. It is to the point where my brain is still active while I sleep, I expect the worst of the situation, I cry from the very smallest trigger or thought, I am so anxious that I puked.

I am an intern and started working (no pay) 1 month ago. I have a lot of work to do - even when I leave the workplace, I have to submit documents, even on the weekends.
I think I got burntout or something but a lot of my workload started piling and I started to rush to meet a lot of my deadlines.
It doesnt help that within the place, I have supervisors that do not communicate enough or well - when we talk about what we need, one might use it and hold it over our heads or make comments as if we are weak and need to be coddled - which makes me doubt whether the fault is all on me and im not trying hard enough
Other personal events happened and I js feel low mood everyday, the urge to cry all the time, the physical reluctance to go back to the workplace and worrying about everything - its been a month since I had proper sleep
I envy other people living a life other than mine and I really hope someone can give some comfort or perspective because I am just sitting here with all these negative thoughts and emotions, spiralling and waiting for something to explode
yesterday I cried twice, total 4x this week and vomitted 4x likely due to anxiety?
do i need some help or will this go away…

2 Likes

Hi @blackandwhite

Thanks for sharing with us your struggles and frustrations, I hear you, and I want you to know that what you’re experiencing is valid and you’re not alone. It sounds like you’re going through a very challenging time right now, both professionally and personally.

Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and exhausted is a heavy burden to carry, especially when it feels like everything is piling up around you. It’s completely understandable that you’re struggling to manage your workload, emotions, and external pressures. It’s a lot for anyone to handle, and it’s okay to feel the way you do.

First and foremost, I want to emphasize the importance of seeking support. You don’t have to go through this alone. I highly recommend you talking to a therapist or counsellor as they can provide you with a safe space to unpack your emotions, explore coping strategies, and develop a plan to address your challenges. They can also help you process your feelings of self-doubt and anxiety about how others perceive you.

Here are some options you can reach out for support:

Online options:

Also, please do consider reaching out to your supervisors or colleagues for support. It’s possible that they may not fully understand the impact their comments and actions are having on you, and open communication could help improve the situation. If you feel comfortable, expressing your concerns and asking for clarity on expectations can help alleviate some of the pressure you’re feeling. Here’s a tool that can help you with having this conversation: Tool for Difficult conversations

I want to encourage you to also focus on your self-care during this time. Make sure you’re taking breaks when you need them, engaging in activities that bring you joy and relaxation, and practicing self-compassion. Remember that it’s okay to set boundaries and advocate for your own well-being!

Finally, know that healing and recovery take time, and it’s okay to ask for help along the way. We are here to support you.

Please update us on how you’re doing, I hope to hear from you soon.

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of the stresses that you are facing is manifesting into physical symptoms like vomiting. How long more is your internship and do you have peers at your workplace that you can confide in?

Thanks for this. Decided to reach out to a counsellor to unpack the emotions and potentially learn some strategies that may help future internships. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope your sessions goes well and that your therapist will be able to equip you with skills to cope with the stress and anxiety from your internship and provide guidance as you journey with road called life. Take care and maybe you could share with us how your session went if you’d like, would love to hear more from you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same here hope your sessions benifit you just like how it did for me :otter:

1 Like

yes but until then, i am still struggling with fatigue and anxiety so hopefully i’ll be able to last till i get an appointment

2 Likes

Sending you lots of love and strength @blackandwhite
In the meantime while waiting for your session, I would recommend trying to do some deep breathing exercises and mindfulness exercises to try and lessen the clutter in your mind.

3 Likes

It might also be good if you’ve someone to confide and talk to about your anxiety.

3 Likes