Overthinking at work

Recently i have told my immediate superior that i have intention of leaving. My superior suggested that i can submit my resignation letter once i found a job and is not rushing me. However recently i made a mistake at work which cause my superior to mention to me is it i wanted to leave so i did my job half heartedly… The facial expression and tone really affect my work. I even feel fear of coming to work if my superior is around because i have to tolerate. This issue has happen few times before. I feel like im just drifting around, when the days are good im happy to stay on to work. But there are days where i really cant handle it. To the extend, now i am planning to resign without finding a job yet. I just want to get out of this situation. And i know its a easy way out. But what can i do …

Hi user1330

Thank you for sharing very courageously the situation you are facing at work.
It sounds deeply challenging, and it’s fully understandable and valid to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about your next steps. Please do not be too disheartened, I have gathered here some insights from others who have undergone similar experiences which I believe could help you gain some clarity on next steps.

Accept your feelings
When you mentioned wanting to justify your feelings by staying busy or planning your resignation, this may reflect a deeper struggle with self-acceptance and the validity of your emotions. It’s important to recognise that feeling this way is valid, regardless of external circumstances.

Emotional Toll
Your supervisor’s comments and demeanor are understandably affecting your motivation and mental well-being. Feeling fear or anxiety about going to work can create a toxic environment that makes it difficult to perform your job effectively.

The feeling of drifting in your job, where good days make you want to stay but bad days push you toward resignation, reflects a lack of stability and fulfillment. This inconsistency can be emotionally exhausting.

The Decision to Resign
Planning to resign without having another job lined up is a significant decision, often driven by a desire to escape a stressful situation. While it may feel like a way out, it’s essential to consider the potential consequences, such as financial stability and future job prospects.

Do consider these steps:
Evaluate Your Options
Stay or Go: Reflect on what staying in your current job versus leaving would mean for you. Consider the pros and cons of each option, including potential job satisfaction, financial implications, and mental health.
Temporary Solutions: If resigning feels like the right choice, consider whether you can find temporary work or part-time opportunities while you search for a more suitable position.

Communicate Your Feelings
Talk to Your Supervisor: If you feel comfortable, consider having an open conversation with him about how his comments affect you. This might help clarify expectations and improve your working relationship.

Seek Support from Colleagues: If you have trusted colleagues, sharing your feelings with them could provide emotional support and possibly lead to a better work environment.

Focus on Self-Care
Mental Health: Prioritize your mental health by engaging in activities that promote well-being, such as exercise, hobbies, or mindfulness practices. These can help alleviate some of the emotional burdens you’re experiencing.

Professional Help: If your feelings of anxiety and fear persist, consider seeking support from a mental health professional. Therapy can provide you with tools to cope with workplace stress and help you navigate your feelings about resignation.

Your feelings are valid, and it’s important to take them seriously. Whether you decide to stay in your job or resign, prioritizing your mental health and well-being should be your primary concern. Reflecting on your options and seeking support can help you make a decision that aligns with your needs and goals. Remember, it’s okay to seek help and take the time you need to find a path forward that feels right for you. :heart:

Hello user1330,

I hear that you are going through a difficult time; I am sorry that you are struggling at work. It seems that your workload or job scope is not easy to manage at times and your immediate superior may not be providing the support that you need. I understand that you recently sounded off to your superior about an intention to leave, but you have yet to submit a formal notification of resignation. Unfortunately this may have given your superior an impression that you are not willing and able to put in your best efforts going forth, and thus brought about incident(s) that understandably make you feel uncomfortable with continuing at your current workplace.

As someone who is not personally acquainted with you, I am in no position to tell you if you must leave your current workplace at once – everyone’s circumstances are different and you would know yours best. However, I will note that some people who resign from their workplace do so without having secured a new position elsewhere. The following questions may guide you in making a decision on whether you can do the same:

• Are you emotionally and financially prepared to handle the possibility of not securing employment elsewhere for weeks/months?
  • Do you have a plan on how you would spend time while being unemployed?
  • Do you have ideas on what type of jobs you can apply for?
  • Are you experiencing burnout?

Whether you hand in your resignation or not, do take care to keep your quality of work high so that your immediate superior and/or colleagues would have no reason to fault you. In the meantime, I encourage you to use some of your free time to look into what opportunities you can explore further, whilst engaging in activities which you enjoy so that you can have a good time outside of work.

Wishing you good health and better days ahead!

Hey @user1330, it sounds like things have been really tough at work, especially with how your superior’s reaction has been affecting you. I can see why you’d feel stressed and worried about going to work with that kind of atmosphere.

It’s understandable that you’re feeling like you want to get out of there, even if it means resigning before finding a new job. Sometimes just getting out of a bad situation feels like the only way to find relief. But before making any decisions, it might be helpful to think about your financial situation, especially if you have any dependents or other responsibilities at home.

A close friend of mine was in a similar spot where he hated his job but couldn’t quit because he had family depending on him. What he did was take on a few part-time jobs while he looked for something better. It was tough, but it helped him manage his finances and still search for a new opportunity.

Whatever you decide, just remember it’s important to take care of yourself and your needs. If you need to make a change, think about what will work best for you in the long run. We’re here for you if you want to talk more about it. :slight_smile:

Thanks all for the replies :smiling_face_with_tear:. I have prepared myself if i could not secure a job within my notice period. Dont think talking to my superior or my colleagues will help. I guess to them work collesgues are just work colleagues. I might have cross the line to think them as friends. I just dont know how to manage overthinking. I google and see videos about solutions of it. Most would say why think of something that wont happen and spoil your day. But i just dont understand HOW to not think about it… Even today is a weekend sometimes i will think that monday i will be going back to work and i have to face the same issue again… im also thinking of finding a counsellor to check if i have major problems…