Panic attack

Im having panic attack out of nothing.what should i do?

2 Likes

Hi @Bonewall

Thank you for sharing your struggle here on this platform, and I’m really sorry to hear that you’re experiencing a panic attack. It can be quite distressing, but I’m here to help.

First, let’s take a deep breath together. Inhale slowly for a count of four, hold for four, and then exhale for a count of four. You can try to repeat this breathing exercise until you feel better, or if you need guidance, try this: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

When you’re feeling calm and breathing better, please do take some time to think about these questions and let me know your thoughts:

Question 1: Can you tell me if there’s anything specific that you think might have triggered this panic attack, even if it seems unrelated to the current moment? It could be anything that you were thinking of before the panic attack too.

Question 2: How are you feeling physically right now? What were some measures you took to help you stay connected to your thoughts and to stay calm?

I would also like to share some strategies to help you whenever you feel a panic attack occuring:

Strategy 1: Grounding techniques can be very helpful. Try the 5-4-3-2-1 method: Name five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. This can help bring your focus back to the present.

Strategy 2: Focus on your breathing. Continue with the deep breaths we started with. Try to maintain a slow and steady rhythm, as this can help reduce the intensity of the panic attack. You can also count your breaths to stay focused. If you feel that you can’t focus, you can also try this activity: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Last but not least, I would also encourage you to perhaps explore this panic attack episode with a mental health professional who can help to assess your current emotional state, and also provide some strategies and guidance on how to manage your feelings if another should arise.

Do keep us updated on how you’re doing?

1 Like

I heard of your solutions before but it doesnt help much when the panic attack comes.time only can help me but it took a few hours to make it go away.

1 Like

Hi @Bonewall

I hear you, and I completely understand what you mean when you say that these strategies only work for a short while. You are right, they may only help for awhile but with consistent practice, you would be able to lower the frequency and intensity of the panic attacks.

If you would like the panic attacks to not reoccur again, it would be much better to see a therapist to work on the root issue directly. Sometimes, our root issues are the main triggers for the panic attacks and we may not be able to stop the panic attacks fully unless we work on the main root issues.

I encourage you to explore this panic attack with a mental health professional who can help you to assess your emotional state and also work on the root issues, which will reduce the panic attacks.

Here are some options that you can try when reaching out for help to work on your root issues:

Online options -
Limitless : Talk To Someone - Limitless
CPH chat : https://www.cphonlinecounselling.sg/hc/en-us
IMH CHAT : Home - CHAT
http://ec2.sg/ : https://fycs.org/ec2-sg

I would also encourage you to try a nearby Family Service Centre, there are many FSCs that offer low price or free sessions for anyone who is in need.

Please do approach a mental health professional so that you can focus on the root issues. Do let us know what you’ve decided to do from here? We’ll be here to support you.

1 Like

I feel like i want to die.these panic attack made me hard to find work and im in financial difficulties.my wife is working and she is in tight situations as she need to settle all the bills alone.i try to see a therepist but it doesnt help.

1 Like

What was your experience with the therapist?

She never ask question much.im the one who talk a lot.whatever i say she agree.whats the use of me going to therapist if she cant help me solve my problem.

1 Like

If the therapist keeps talking and you can’t talk, also gonna be a problem 🫨 maybe try to share your thoughts on the therapist style with your therapist? I think the professionals have good concepts on how one can cope with anxiety and other psychological challenges, but maybe their style might not suit everyone. It’s like a relationship, so you can work with her on it by communicating, maybe she’ll be able to share why she lets you talk more!! You’re in control, your therapist is like a Yoda, just there for guidance~

1 Like

I try everything but it seems the panic attack comes and theres no hiding from it.

1 Like