Panic Attacks - Where do they come from?

Hey everyone!

Hope you’re all doing well! Today, I wanted to open up a conversation about something that many of us might have experienced or know someone who has - panic attacks. It’s a topic that’s often misunderstood, but shedding light on it can make a significant difference. Let’s dive in!

Root Issues of Panic Attacks: Panic attacks can stem from various factors, including high stress levels, underlying anxiety disorders, traumatic experiences, or a combination of these. Identifying the root cause can be crucial in managing and preventing future episodes.

Common Signs of Panic Attacks:

• Shortness of breath
  • Racing heartbeat
  • Sweating
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
  • Chest pain or discomfort
  • Nausea or abdominal distress
  • Fear of losing control or going crazy

What to Do During a Panic Attack:

1. Focus on Breathing: Take slow, deep breaths to help regulate your breathing.
  2. Ground Yourself: Use your senses to connect with the present moment. Describe five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste.
  3. Reach Out for Support: Don’t hesitate to let someone you trust know what you’re going through. Having a support system is invaluable.

Suggestions for Coping:

1. Regular Exercise: Physical activity can reduce stress and anxiety.
  2. Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Practice mindfulness meditation or deep relaxation exercises.
  3. Seek Professional Help: If panic attacks persist, consider reaching out to a mental health professional for guidance and support.

Let’s Discuss:

1. What coping mechanisms have worked for you during a panic attack?
  2. Have you ever helped someone through a panic attack, and what did you find most helpful in that situation?

Remember, this is a safe space, and your experiences and insights might be incredibly valuable to someone else. Let’s support each other!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences. :blush:

2 Likes

I sometimes get them coz too many people and they scare me

1 Like

Deep breaths to calm your nerves.
Talk to the person to understand what they might be stressed about or fearing over.

1 Like

Omg panic attacks are insane . Is a real deal ok we must take it seriously ! Please stop making those w anxiety have problems :rage:

1 Like

Feeling extreme nervous

1 Like

Anxiety and struggles with mental health

1 Like

Get scared to interact with people

1 Like

Panic attacks can make people act irrationally and should not be ignored

1 Like

they come from fear that has been developed

1 Like

I used to experience this as I have serious anxiety issues sometimes.

1 Like

In an extremely nervous situation or a stressful situation

1 Like

I usually step back and take a walk outside to calm myself.

1 Like

Breath slowly and listen to calming music

1 Like

Calm down before u do sth

Great! That sounds nice! First time…

1 Like

Deep breathing and keeping my mind free of thoughts

1 Like

strong emotions from daily tasks

1 Like

Nowadays, I try not to rely on medications (I’ve them on standby) and focus on breathing exercises (my favourite being box breathing).

If I’m having a panic attack, I usually will try and find a quiet place/ corner away from people and just try to focus on regulating my breathing and listen to some asmr (something relaxing/ soothing).

1 Like

But somehow sometimes crying helps. Like during an attack I would feel emotional and end up in tears

1 Like

Panick attacks could be a result of medications. Have you been taking any form of sleeping pill or anxiety medication and stopped? Panick attacks can be caused by withdrawal from them.

Have you been drinking a lot recently? Alcohol withdrawal comprises anxiety.

Have you been drinking alot of caffeinated drinks? Caffeine is a stimulant that causes anxiety on consumption AND on withdrawal. It could be from soft drinks such as Coca-cola.

If you are thinking of going to a doctor to treated for anxiety I highly advise against it. I ended up with brain damage because of it.

1 Like