Scared of ceasing to exist

I always coped with problems by simply saying “nothing could be worse than death”. But a week ago something clicked and I can’t fathom not existing and everything dissapearing.

I can’t bring myself to believe in religion although it would give me so much comfort. I can’t eat or sleep this past week and I even broke down in school.

Nothing feels like it matters anymore and I can’t bring myself to do anything. I’m just so sad and scared. I tried exercising, distractions and sleeping but the thought just doesn’t leave me alone.

Is there anyway to make me feel happier or accept ceasing to exist?

1 Like

Hi @user919

Thank you for sharing with us your struggles, I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a difficult time. I can imagine how disheartening it must feel to go through this - not being able to find comfort in anything and feeling like nothing really matters. I can hear that the sadness and fear can be very overwhelming, and I acknowledge the depth of your feelings.

I would really like to encourage you to reach out for support. Here are some suggestions:

1. Speak to a Mental Health Professional: Please do consider talking to a mental health professional, such as a therapist or counselor, who can provide a safe space for you to express your thoughts and feelings. They can help you explore the root causes of your distress and work towards coping strategies and a healthier mindset.

2. Connect with Supportive Friends or Family: It’s important to share your feelings with someone you trust, whether it’s a friend, family member, or someone else in your life. Sometimes social support can make a huge difference in how we cope with challenges, and having someone to talk to can provide emotional relief.

3. Explore Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Mindfulness practices, such as meditation and deep breathing exercises, can help bring a sense of calmness to your mind. These techniques may not provide an immediate solution, but they can be helpful in managing distress over time.

Last but not least, if you’re in immediate distress, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a crisis helpline. Please do contact them in case of emergency or in case you find yourself in crisis:

I want to encourage you to remember that there are people who care about you and want to support you through difficult times. Please do take care and let us know how you’re coping and what you’ve decided to do - we’ll be here to journey with you.