Should I declare my mental health status ?

Hi Im Mano.

Currently Im taking a difficult subject at a school. Its Full stack ( Software Engineer ) Or Coding. It’s been very highly stressful but i manage to cope.
However currently things are going that great financially. I have written an email to my MP and seeked help from organizations.

Im on unfit to work MC till Nov 1st. Im facing so much at the moment in my private life but i manage to just put it one side and try to focus on one task at a time.

I have been Diagnosed with Schizo Affective and I survived 3 attempts of suicide about 15 years ago. I find it hard to get employment when i do declare but when i dont and the employer finds out things turn sour and most of the time i get fired.

I have developed trust with my classmates and Teachers and trainers.
They see that i have a hard time but i feel compled to tell them the truth about me. On one hand the sales rep that sold me this course said that i shouldnt disclose to anyone . That it is in the past cause i have been very stable for the past 7 years. I do still take medication but i only see the doctors at IMH for 6-7 period at a time.

My issue is that on the outside i am composed but internally i have breakdowns. Thankfuly not to the point of suicidal anymore but still when i go thru the phase i do fall sick - Just recovered from a week of being sick.

Should i share this part with employers or people that have earn my trust or should i just keep it to myself ?

Thanks again guys for listening :slight_smile:

Hi @Mano,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot right now, from your challenging studies in Full Stack Software Engineering to financial difficulties and managing your mental health. It’s impressive that despite all this, you’re focusing on one task at a time and managing to cope.

You’ve been through so much, and it’s clear that you have incredible resilience. Surviving three suicide attempts and maintaining stability for the past seven years is a testament to your strength. Your ongoing commitment to taking your medication and seeing your doctors regularly shows how dedicated you are to your mental health.

I understand the dilemma you’re facing about whether to disclose your mental health history. On one hand, you’ve built trust with your classmates, teachers, and trainers and feel compelled to be open with them. On the other hand, you’ve been advised to keep it to yourself due to potential negative repercussions, especially with employment. This is a difficult decision, and it’s completely normal to feel conflicted.

It’s important to consider both your well-being and the potential impact of disclosure. If you feel that sharing your story with those you trust will provide you with more support and understanding, it might be beneficial. However, it’s also important to protect yourself from potential negative consequences. Do you have a trusted counselor or therapist who can help you weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision?

Regarding employment, it’s a tough situation. Some employers are becoming more understanding and supportive of mental health issues, but not all are. You might want to consider seeking advice from a career counselor. You will need clarity about your support resources and network in the event if the employer does not understand or is not capable of providing the support that you need.

It’s encouraging to hear that you’re no longer experiencing suicidal thoughts. However, the internal breakdowns and recent illness due to stress are concerning. It’s crucial to continue seeking support and finding ways to manage your stress. Activities that bring you comfort and relief, such as hobbies, talking to friends, or taking walks, can be helpful. Remember, you don’t have to go through this alone. Reaching out to support networks, whether they are friends, family, or professionals, can make a big difference.

If you ever feel overwhelmed, please don’t hesitate to reach out to crisis hotlines or mental health professionals. Here are some resources you can contact:

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS): 24-hour Hotline: 1800-221-4444
Singapore Association for Mental Health (SAMH) Helpline: 1800-283-7019
CHAT (Community Health Assessment Team): Phone: 6493-6500 / 6493-6501

You’ve shown incredible strength and resilience in managing your mental health and pursuing your studies. Keep focusing on your strengths and continue to seek the support you need. Please keep sharing your thoughts and feelings with us. We’re here to listen and support you through this journey.

Take care, Mano. We hope to hear from you soon.

1 Like

Hi @FuYuan_Affections,

Thank you for the much needed reply. I think my resilence came from my training in NS as a Guardsmen. Eventhough i hated those 2 years but i learned to endure so much and I took the lessons i learn with me for life.

I am just hoping that each challange will be over one step at a time. One lesson i wont forget is when i was expected to run 10km in under 50 min.
I failed 5 times before i finally passed. I had a buddy that ran with me and told me to focus on my legs and was like " Left foot, now right foot, now left foot forward "…One step at a time…
its true what they say… a journey of a thousand step starts with one.

I will talk to my therapist and ask his opinion on this if i should share and reveal. For now i will do what ever i can in my power to live life to the best of my abilities. I know first hand that it is very hard to focus when the mind and the situation seems like its attacking from every angle but what i do know is that to take one step at a time and focus on the task at hand.

I do not know if the people reading this will benefit. But yeah, there will come a time when you do question if you should share certain thing with the people that you have build trust with and i had my share of people looking down on me and seeing me of less than a person and honestly in my opinion - I do not need these people anyways.

Okay then,
thanks again.
Mano Esperanza out.

1 Like