Suicide prevention

I am a psychology student. Recently, I was working on a presentation about suicide and I had a question: For people who are suffering tremendously and currently no help is available, should we prevent their suicide?
I think that we should do our best to prevent suicide. For example, suicidial thoughts due to a lack of meaning can be prevented with existential therapy or dialectical behaviour therapy.
However, when there is nothing else we can do, personally, I think that we should not prevent their suicide because perhaps death is a way to end their misery. I think people will prevent the suicide of their loved ones because their loved ones are their pillars of strength. However, when the loved ones are suffering tremendously and with the current medical technology, there is no intervention help. I feel that we should let the loved ones go instead of letting them stay for our own comfort. For instance, war has left the surviving soldiers torn and broken, with PTSD, something that commoners can never empathise with.
Disclaimer: I apologise if my opinion causes any harm or inconvenience. I am voicing my opinion and the goal of this post is to initiate a dialectical discussion so that we can explore the vibrant views others may have. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @weijie468, really apologise to getting to your question so late! I have moved the topic to this section as this is the most appropriate one for the topic being discussed.

Great thoughts there. It is quite an ethical question you have there. The disclaimer is that I am no ethical expert here.

As a general rule, we follow what the state says about suicide “Every suicide is 1 death too many”. Indeed the state has soften our stance about suicide to allow more people to come forward to seek help - 1st Jan 20, attempted suicide no longer a crime.

It is no easy solution to suicide prevention as the causes are complex and multifaceted. No efforts should be spared to get the aide to the person at risk. In Singapore’s context, there will always be help available.

With regards, to medical futility, it should be discussed with the doctor on what is the best for the patient. There has to be a conscious effort for the person to draft out his AMD. When conditions are met, no extraordinary life-sustaining treatment will be used to prolong the life. It is still a natural way.

Indeed, there are many sufferings in the world that cant be trivialised (as you have mentioned about the war). This is where constant support therapy (eg for US war veterans) is required. Joining support groups is one way to interact with people in similar situations and to share coping strategies. We want create more buffers against suicidality.

Thought this is a nice paper that actively discusses about Veteran and Military Mental Health Issues. There is a section on suicide.

Again, as this is a sensitive topic, the view I am providing here is only a small sliver to a widely complex situation. It doesn’t represent what should be done, or what could be done. A crisis support team (like SOS Singapore) is always there to support the person.

3 Likes