Urgent advice

Hellu~

I wanted to ask for help! I have 2 job offers currently and I am really unsure if which I want. Ik that in the end of the day, I am supposed to be the one making the decision but the problem is, idk what I even want. My dream job doesnt want me and I have no other choices but to go with these 2…

Both r in the finance industry and it is sth tbh i really not that interested in as compared to my dream industry… If i wanna go to my dream industry, I will need to restart and wait until the application open which means a period of unemployment again, while i can do part time but i kinda need a job right now so dream industry is out of the question which could ponder in the future. Kinda regretted not doing my job search or research about the opportunities during my career break tho cuz I realised how many great opportunities I have missed.

Back to the 2 jobs, Job A has more growth and learning but I am required to do a task i do not like ( aka sales) which i am not confident in but the growth really alot as I can experience many stuff

Job B while is in the area of interest, i feel that the growth wont be as much and I have to be really independent. The pros is that I have high autonomy to do my own things as long as I complete my task, grow my own team, coming up with my own proposal and in a long run ( probs 1 year) I get to be a leader which has power, sth I appreciate but the growth will be alot and i can foresee myself doing mundane work for quite a period to achieve it and my imagination does not mean it will become reality…

And I have a lot of self doubt, worry that my past poor performance will affect my future work… I have really low confidence about myself and dont believe in myself…

So i am really torn and i need an advice… I really sucks at making decision and i dont want to make decision i regret… I have ask people arnd me but none can provide me with an advice that brings me so strongly of one decision… I am so torn to the point I have no appetite to est, cant sleep well anxious for a few days… If it is a job I really want, all these wouldnt even be required…
Really need a compelling advice and ik at the end of the day is my choice( ik but i really dw to hear)

1 Like

Hi Junni

Firstly, well done on getting two job offers in the finance industry. This shows that interviewers have selected you and have assessed that you have the merit, requisite background, skills and attributes to succeed in these roles.
Thank you, too, for the courage to share that you also have another dream job in mind. I understand that it may require you to restart your career back by bringing you back to the starting blocks and something you cannot do at the present time, though it could be something you could pursue eventually. Please don’t be too hard on yourself for missing the application period and for missing opportunities. It happens to the best of us. That does not mean all is lost. Don’t lose heart; It may be worth a shot to explore this further once the situation is more stable.
Meanwhile, keep an open mind as you explore Finance and different fields. Finance might not be your passion, but it could provide valuable skills and experience.
Now to the issue of deciding which of the two job offers to pursue. Yes, a difficult decision indeed! You analysed it well when you mentioned there are pros and cons to both jobs.
A good first step I recommend is to raise your self-awareness on your own preferences. For example, you could take the RIASEC profiling to understand your personality, strengths, and work values to help you identify suitable career options. MySkillsFuture website has excellent resources you can tap on. Assessment Tool | Myskillsfuture.gov.sg

The next step I recommend is for you to assess which of the two roles is more aligned to your personal values and goals. Do you thrive in a role where you need to analyse, come up with procedures or do you prefer roles where you are required to conceptualise or engage with people. Compare if possible against the dream job. Which of these two roles consists of more aspects of the dream job. I believe that could help you in making the choice.
Remember, there’s no perfect choice, and it’s okay to take calculated risks. You can always adjust your path later.
While you decide which role to choose, I want to take this opportunity to assure you that it’s fully understandable and normal that you are experiencing self-doubt and worry about past performance. I want to reassure you that past experiences do not define your future. Circumstances are different and you have grown since then. Stay optimistic, focused and apply what lessons you’ve learned from those past roles. Starting the new job is an opportunity for a new start and new beginning. :slight_smile:
Additionally:

• Set clear goals for your next role.
  • Prioritize your well-being and confidence-building.
  • Seek mentorship or guidance from professionals in your desired field.
  • Embrace the learning process and view challenges as growth opportunities.
    You got this! Take your time, and trust yourself to make the best decision for your current situation. :hearts:
2 Likes

Thank you caringbee for your advice, it really brings smile to my face :slight_smile: One thing that I worry THE MOST is my mental health as I am not sure if i have the right mind and attitude for the job i wanted cuz i scared if i dont like the job i would feel demoralised and my interviewer has mentioned thats what he fears… In that case how should I manage these emotions

Hi Junni

Thank you for your kind words :heart:.

Your worry about mental health is fully understandable as you venture into a new role. There is a level of uncertainty which I agree is daunting. I am gathering that you are experiencing fear, self doubt and worry among many other emotions. Please do not be discouraged, what you are experiencing is valid and commonly felt among most new-joiners, so don’t feel alone :heart:.

I hope these guidelines can help you cope better:

Have realistic expectations that no job is perfect, and it is not possible for you to know everything about the job within the first few days. It takes at least 100 days or more of onboarding before a new-joiner can adequately understand their new role/industry/culture/procedures. Be kind to yourself and be patient.

Be fully present and pay attention when undergoing any briefing or on the job training. If you don’t fully understand anything, write it down, think through, read the manual or SOP to get a basic understanding first. Thereafter ask your supervisor or assigned mentor. It shows initiative and openness to learn. Get hands-on practice where possible.

Carry out regular self-care. Exercise, sleep, hobbies, good diet all help to reduce stress and promote your well-being.

Tap on your strong support system of family and friends. They can provide a cushion and a sense of camaraderie that you can fall back for emotional and social support. A counsellor could also help you identify and develop skills to navigate challenges you may face in your new role. Counsellors can provide a safe space for you to process your emotions and coach you on developing skills to weather them.

Do prioritise your mental health and proactively seek support to ease yourself into the transition coming up. You are not alone, and the way forward is by taking small daily steps that bring you towards the desired direction. You got this! :heart:

1 Like