Where to seek mental help if school is not an option?

Hi, I came across this website today and I wanted to ask where could I seek help at?

Currently, I am a secondary school student in sec 4 and the stress from the upcoming exams and the toxic environment is causing me a lot of stress. Although I am trying to ignore the enviroment around me(the bad stuff) I srsly can’t and nowadays my crying outbreaks are getting worse from crying about something small to crying when nothing happened.

To add on, I have been thinking about death everyday like personally I would not do it but like I cannot handle the sadness and emptiness in me any longer considering that I have been facing these feelings through out my whole secondary life (close to 4 years), including sucidical thoughts. Idk whether its normal but yeah ig. Also mg mood goes up and down quite a lot, like for a week I could feel happy like Im on yk meds but the mext week I could feel like empty and if a bad situation comes, I would feel sad, angry and Sucidical all at the same time :<

If you are wondering why I can’t seek help at school, its because firstly, the process is too lengthy and my form teacher do not give a ■■■■ about my mental health until it gets to the worse point(breaking down at school, which is uncontrollable). This process would start with 3 sessions with the form teacher then the form teacher will see whether the student needs to see the councillor. Next, the form teacher will inform the yearhead and the the yearhead will get in contact with the student and evaluate whether they need mental help or not. Then finally, I can meet with the school councillor when I get an appointment. This process is way too long for me and I would probably have overdosed on painkillers before I could even get help :skull:

Apologies for the sucide joke but I am being somewhat serious though, the process will probably take a earliest one month and with a form teacher who is irresponsible, maybe even never. Also, I know school councillors have to tell the teachers and the parents about the session and I prefer my session with the person I spoke to to be private and undisclosed. I also come from a middle-lower income family so I don’t have many options when it comes to seeking help because I don’t have much money for it :frowning:

This is a very important year for me since I have the very big exam at the mid-end of the year, and I need to work on my results but my mental health is being a barrier from that.

Will appreciate any help or advice for my mental health and where to seek help, Thanks!

(btw do other schools have this lengthy process too?)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Origin I think what you are facing is a legitmate issue and going thru these fluctuations of emotions must have been tiring :confused:

As to where you can seek help, there are a few options:

1. You can head to a certified GP or Polyclinic

2. Previously when I was going through some problems and realised I needed councilling I contacted SAMH here 1800-283-7019

3. If the feelings get too overwhelming, then you can try calling 1767 for Samaritans of Singapore or use their 24hr care text service 9159 1767

Otherwise if it helps feel free to share here too :otter:

1 Like

Thanks a lot woman/man :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem haha just feel free to ask anything here :otter:

Hi @Origin

Thank you so much for sharing with us your struggles, you’ve come to the right place and I hear you - I want to acknowledge the weight you’re carrying on your shoulders. It sounds like you’re going through a storm of stress and emotions, and it’s really so brave of you to reach out and express what you’re going through.

Feeling overwhelmed by exams and a toxic environment is a heavy burden, and it’s understandable that it’s taking a toll on your mental health. I’m honestly concerned to hear about the intensity of your crying spells and the persistent thoughts of death and suicide. These are definitely signals that your mental health needs attention and care.

The fact that seeking help at your school feels like a huge obstacle is disheartening. The process you described seems daunting and drawn-out, leaving you feeling trapped in your struggles. It’s unfair that accessing support should feel so inaccessible and prolonged, especially when you’re in such urgent need.

I’m here to tell you that your feelings are valid. You mentioned concerns about privacy and affordability when seeking help. There are community organizations, hotlines, and online resources that offer confidential support at little to no cost. I’ll list some here for you to try them out:

Free Counselling Services

1. MSF’s Online Counselling : Online Counselling on Family Assist (OCFA) | Family Assist
  2. Silver Ribbon - https://www.silverribbonsingapore.com/counselling.html
  3. SAMH - https://www.samhealth.org.sg/our-services/outreach/samh-insight-centre/#1545895446184-0c71e7f9-ecc9
  4. Care Corner - Mental Health for Youth (INSIGHT) - Care Corner Singapore l

You can also try these online options:

Additionally, some therapists offer sliding scale fees or pro bono services for anyone facing financial constraints. You can also try exploring these options to find a safe space where you can openly discuss your struggles without fear of judgment or disclosure to others.

Remember, taking care of your mental health is not a luxury—it’s a necessity. You’re not alone in this journey, and we are here to walk with you.

Let us know if you’ve managed to reach out to anyone in these resources yet?

Hear from you soon.