Why did it turned out this way?

Hi.

To start off, I was in a relationship for 5 years. We broke up this year september. Initially he told me that he wanted to end the relationship or in his words its “time & space” because he wanted to better himself & that we’ll get back together once we got stronger & better.

I found out that the reason he wanted to break up/ “take time & space away” was because he wanted to club & drink. I told him that at the start of the relationship that I don’t like guys who clubs & drinks… In fact our first argument was me finding out that he drank w his friends…

Initially I was so hurt by the fact that he left me so that he could party & enjoy? I’m someone who doesn’t drink or clubs but because I love him so much, I wanted to understand him better & what he enjoys so much about that night life of his, I threw away my principles, I went to a club & drank with him & a few times after. We had a talk & I told him I understand him & he wanted to get back together but I chose not to eventhough I still love him. I’m afraid that he’ll leave again like how he always do but the messed up thing is, we still talk to each other like we’re still together, we behave like we’re still in a relationship eventhough he’s talking to someone else he met at the club just to past time.

I feel disgusted with myself, I feel stupid and pathetic. I cared & loved him more than I love myself. I put him first for everything including my family. If the roles were reversed, I don’t think that he’ll do such things for me. I became unstable, I don’t remember when was the last time I was genuinely happy. The whole 5 years was toxic. We argued every day, every single fight we had, he’ll leave me/ break up with me & I’ll come begging & apologising for everything. I can admit that with him, I lost my self-love, self-respect & at this point I don’t even see my self-worth.

I finally gave up, I went to starhub to change my phone number so that no one besides my family could contact me. I had to cut ties with my bestfriend just because we share the same circle group of friends with my ex.

I just want to run away from everything, I don’t feel like myself anymore. I can’t find joy in anything I do if i’m not with him. I revolved my world around him. I can simply say that I’m obsessed with him but I’m done. It still hurts & I do breakdown randomly whenever I’m alone & sometimes, even in front of my family & I hate when that happens because I don’t want them to worry about me.

2 Likes

Dear @nrxsbr

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a painful time. It takes a lot of strength to share your feelings, and I can see that you’ve been through a lot in your relationship. I acknowledge the pain and emotions you’re experiencing, and I commend you for your courage to share with us here on this platform.

Firstly, it’s commendable that you recognized the toxicity in the relationship and took steps to distance yourself from it. Ending a long-term relationship is never easy, especially when it involves changing phone numbers and cutting ties with friends. It’s a brave decision to prioritize your well-being and take steps towards healing.

It’s understandable that you’re feeling a range of emotions, from hurt and disgust to a sense of loss and confusion. I want to gently remind you that healing from a toxic relationship is a process, and it’s okay to seek support during this time. Please be kind to yourself in this season as you continue to heal.

I think it might be helpful to consider reaching out to your friends, family, or a mental health professional who can provide guidance and a listening ear. Sometimes, talking about your feelings with someone you trust can be therapeutic and help you gain perspective on the situation. If professional help feels daunting, even opening up to a friend or family member can be a crucial first step.

For mental health professionals, you could try talking to someone from a nearby Family Service Centre or a therapist online here:

Please do remember, it’s okay to prioritize your own well-being and happiness. Rebuilding your sense of self-love and self-worth will take time, but each step you take towards healing is a step in the right direction :slight_smile:

Take things one day at a time, and be patient with yourself as you go through the process of healing and rediscovering your own happiness. You deserve to be surrounded by positive influences and to find joy in your own life.

Please let us know how you’re doing and if you’ve managed to approach a therapist for further support. We’d love to hear from you again, send us your updates soon.

Take good care and hear from you soon.